• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Cell Value to External Workbook Textbox Issue

dacuna.87

Hi,

Greetings to all, I just start learning vba macros some weeks ago and it is pretty awesome I love it. Today I'm facing with the following issue hope you can help me out!

I'm trying to make a macro that send values from an specific cell to an external Textbox located in a different workbook. I tried a lot of methods but I simply cant get to the right formula or a way to call the Textbox control into my main workbook.

Right now I have the below code that just copy a cell value to other cell in a different workbook:

------ CODE ---------------------------------------------------

Sub cmdOK_Click()

Dim OriginalWorkBook As Workbook

Dim Source As Workbook

Const MyDir As String = "C:Test"

Set Source = Workbooks.Open(MyDir & "B.xlsm")

Source.Sheets("Sheet1").Activate

ActiveSheet.Range("C4") = Range("C4")

End Sub

------ END CODE ---------------------------------------------

Please find below a link with the excel spreadsheets that I'm using, copy these folders on "C:" in order for this macro to work.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9fp9at6amd9vlec

Let me know your thoughs! And thanks a lot in advance!

This is your problem line

[pre]
Code:
ActiveSheet.Range("C4") = Range("C4")
The latter Range doesn't have a parent object stating which Sheet to use. In this case, VB assumes that you want to use the active sheet. Thus, it's really doing

[pre][code]ActiveSheet.Range("C4") = ActiveSheet.Range("C4")
[/pre]
and not doing anything. To avoid confusion, best practice would be to call out all parents, like this:

Source.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C4") = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("My Sheet").Range("C4")[/code][/pre]
Note how both sides have the workbook and worksheet parent included. ThisWorkbook always refers to the workbook which the code is contained in.

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your prompt response!

Yes I just saw that hehe, but It looks like I copy it wrong on my first post, but I think that on the file that I uploaded on mediafire, the code is OK like yours.

Could you please take a look at the files that i uploaded on mediafire and give me some support on how to do the same but from one cell to an external TextBox please, I do not find a way to reference or call an external textbox and I'm getting crazy finding the way!

Thanks for your help Luke!

I'm afraid I can't access shared workbooks from my location, but I'll do my best w/o it. Shapes are funny things...for some reason, it won't let you change the properties directly, you often have to select them first. Try this.

[pre]
Code:
Sub cmdOK_Click()

Dim Source As Workbook

Set Source = Workbooks.Open(MyDir & "B.xlsm")

'Select the sheet
'select shape
ActiveSheet.Shapes("MyBox").Select
'set value
Selection.Text = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("My Sheet").Range("C4")

End Sub
[/pre]

Hi, dacuna.87, Luke M!

Sorry for the interruption. I downloaded A & B workbooks, added macro to second button of A (to cmdOK_click) and changed slightly Luke M's code to this so as to try it with my folder's name:

-----

[pre]
Code:
Sub cmdOK2_Click()

Dim Source As Workbook

'Set Source = Workbooks.Open(MyDir & "B.xlsm")
Set Source = Workbooks.Open(ThisWorkbook.Path & Application.PathSeparator & "B.xlsm")

'Select the sheet
'select textbox and set value
ActiveSheet.TextBox1.Text = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("C4")

End Sub
[/pre]
-----

And it works fine.

Here's the link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60558749/Cell%20Value%20To%20An%20External%20Textbox%20Issue%20-%20A%20%28for%20dacuna.87%20from%20Luke%20M%20at%20chandoo.org%29.xlsm

Hope it helped you. Credit to Luke M.

Regards!

Thanks for downloading and adapting the code, SirJB7. It is annoying not being able to actually see the workbooks that people are posting. =(

@Luke M

Hi!

Don't even mention it, man...

Regards!

PS: BTW I forgot to turn on your CASFFML trick :)

Hi, dacuna.87!

Glad you solved it. All credit to Luke M, I just arrived at dessert time.

Thanks for your feedback and for your kind words too. Welcome back whenever needed or wanted.

Regards!

Back