• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Best Way to Visualize Personal Monthly Expenses

shaikhrulez

Hello experts,

I have data with four columns i.e. Months, Main Head, Sub Head and Amount. I want to analyze monthly expenses under each Main Head and Sub Head through dashboard visualizations. Since the data contains many heads I am unable to comprehend the best possible way to do so. I was wondering what type of charts and visualization techniques will be best for available data.

My main target is:
  • Comparison of monthly expenses
  • Month wise comparison of Main Head & Sub Head
  • Top 3 Main Heads and Sub Heads for a selected month
  • Expenses Trend
  • Averages
  • Any other which could help in interpreting the data.
Sample file attached.

Thanks for your help and time.

Attachments

• Sample Data for Chandoo.xlsx
    22.6 KB · Views: 11
Well, "BEST" will depend on the audience. In this case, you. We can't decide what is best for you.

You obviously have an idea of what the visuals should look like. Best bet is to start with Pivot Table and charts. Using slicers to control segmentation.

If you need help building visuals.
I'd recommend doing mock-up of your visuals, even if it's manually created... so that we have clear picture of what your desired end goal is.

For starters, you can google for "personal expense dashboard excel" and get some ideas.

EDIT: FYI below tutorial will give you idea of how to get started on building dashboards.
https://chandoo.org/wp/financial-dashboard-tutorial/

Last edited:
Back