• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Best way to show tennis stats

Dolce

Hi everybody, my name's Vitto and I'm here to ask you such a big favour:

I should write a kind of dissertation about "Tennis-Match analysis" and as you guess the main focus will be collecting data while watching a tennis match. But here is the point: I'm not looking for officials stats (such as How many aces, how many breakpoints and so on = all the stats that you can read from offical websites), I'm looking for any kind of data that you are able to collect ONLY by watching the match:

- SERVICE
- where the player served (left/middle/right)
- what spin (slice/kick/flat)
- net approach after serve (yes/no)
- how many seconds before he serves (seconds..)

- RETURN IN
- where the receiver shot the ball (left/middle/right)
- kind of return in (difensive/neutral/aggressive)
- punti vinti in risposta alla prima palla (a confronto con stats finali del match)

- RALLIES
- rally duration (how many shots)
- how it ends (winner/forced error/unforced error)
- which shots and where (forehand/backhand; down the line/inside-out/crossed)

And so on. It's a HUGE amount of data and I should do that for lots of tennis matches... of course I'm NOT asking you to create the file (I'm beginner with excel but I can learn quickly)... I just want to ask you HOW collect and HOW display these stats!!

I mean, which is the best way to create and excel file like that? I'm struggling with that. Please don't answer only "pivot table." because I don't know how to use it (so far) and I'm missing HOW to prepare the datasheet. I'm writing you hoping to read something that could help me in creating this file.

Thanks so much (by the way: if you love tennis I will send you the final project ;) )

p.s I uploaded the excel file.... do you think that is the best way to display the stats? (that layout+filter I can manage it?)

Attachments

• tennis stats datasheet.xls
    38 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Assuming that you are looking to display some sort of correlation between all/any of the catgeories you list above, you will want to make sure you build a data table with each data point on a line.

Bad data layout:
Code:
Served Left      Served Middle     Served Right
  No                           Yes                 No

Good layout:
Code:
Served:
Middle
Left
Right

I've seen plenty of data analysis and PivotTable woes occur because the data was in a bad format. Along that, I know you don't know them yet, but I would strongly encourgae you to learn PivotTables. With this large amount of data, it's going to be a real time saver when looking for correlations. Debra Dalgleish at Contextures has literally written the book on PivotTables, and has several excellent articles and tutorials on how to create and use them.

So, start by collecting all of your data into a nice table. From your example book, it looks like you've got a good start, and I'd keep that format. One last thing, don't mix numbers and text. IF a rally goes for 7 shots, just write a 7, don't literally write "7 shots". Another data breaker.

Once you've got that, there's several ways we can display the data, depending on what correlations we are trying to look at. If it were me, I'd use the PivotTable to play around with the data at first trying to see what correlations there are, and then once I knew that, decide which charts/dashboard I want to use.

Also, Chandoo just wrote an article today about dashboards, including a sports one. Might be worth a look.
http://chandoo.org/wp/2014/02/14/dashboard-training-course/

Bad data layout:
Code:
Served Left      Served Middle     Served Right
  No                           Yes                 No

Good layout:
Code:
Served:
Middle
Left
Right

I know you don't know them yet, but I would strongly encourgae you to learn PivotTables. With this large amount of data, it's going to be a real time saver when looking for correlations.

...and I'd keep that format. One last thing, don't mix numbers and text. IF a rally goes for 7 shots, just write a 7, don't literally write "7 shots".

Once you've got that, there's several ways we can display the data, depending on what correlations we are trying to look at. If it were me, I'd use the PivotTable to play around with the data at first trying to see what correlations there are, and then once I knew that, decide which charts/dashboard I want to use.

Thanks so much for your reply. Actually I was already trying to use PivotTable. I'm uploading a new version of the file, seems OK... I just need to understand the best mix in pivot table display. Moreover: I'm still not able to add a second pivot table right under the blue one... maybe it's Office for MAC , maybe it's me missing something.

However, thanks :)

Attachments

• tennis stats datasheet.xls
    44.5 KB · Views: 18
Hmm. I'm going to tag @SirJB7 to take a look at this. Spanish is his native language, so he might be able to help more. I'm afraid I'm getting lost in the language. :oops:

Attachments

• Tennis Match.xlsx
    11.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back