• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Automatically deduct strikethrough from total

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akwaman

Hi All. I've been racking my brain trying to figure this little formula out. I have a bill spreadsheet that I track over the course of a month. I would like to be able to see the balance of the total bill decrease each time I strike through a cell when I receive a confirmation email that it has been deducted or processed. I've tried to write a macro with not luck, and now I'm just looking for a basic deduction formula. I've attached the file and the total is located at C17 and eventually through the month, all of the column C items would be stricken through (see past months as an example). Any help you give will be greatly appreciated. Stretch goal, a macro would be nice, but for the immediate satisfaction, seeing the balance deduct after an item is stricken through would be ecstatic! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Futurecast Bills.xlsx
    41.6 KB · Views: 12
Hi, as your attachment can very not handle any VBA procedure​
so first use the Code option in the 3 dots icon (Insert) to post your code attempt​
and well elaborate at least in order there is nothing to guess when you 'strike through a cell'​
- as VBA can't detect that then should be done via a worksheet event like Right Click for example -​
what must be exactly achieved …​
A smart no VBA way is obviously using an additional column to mark a row​
and using the condifional formatting to 'strike through' and applying total according to this additional column …​

Formula Solution with an old school Excel GetCell function

1] Create a range name:
  • Select C18 >> Formulas >> Define Name >>
  • Name : SumStrikethrough
  • Refers to : =-SUM(GET.CELL(23,IF(1,+OFFSET($C$2:$C$16,ROW($C$2:$C$16)-MIN(ROW($C$2:$C$16)),)))*$C$2:$C$16)
  • OK >> Finish
Then,

2] Enter in cell C18:

=SumStrikethrough

3] Enter in cell C19, formula:

=SUM(C17:C18)

Remark : GetCell is a Macro 4 function file need to be saved in xlsm type Excel Macro -Enabled Worksheet

Press F9 for sheet refresh while each time you strike through a cell
amount.

Attachments

• SumStrikeThrough(BY).xlsm
    46.9 KB · Views: 19
Formula Solution with an old school Excel GetCell function

1] Create a range name:
  • Select C18 >> Formulas >> Define Name >>
  • Name : SumStrikethrough
  • Refers to : =-SUM(GET.CELL(23,IF(1,+OFFSET($C$2:$C$16,ROW($C$2:$C$16)-MIN(ROW($C$2:$C$16)),)))*$C$2:$C$16)
  • OK >> Finish
Then,

2] Enter in cell C18:

=SumStrikethrough

3] Enter in cell C19, formula:

=SUM(C17:C18)

Remark : GetCell is a Macro 4 function file need to be saved in xlsm type Excel Macro -Enabled Worksheet

Press F9 for sheet refresh while each time you strike through a cell
amount.

View attachment 83857

This was simply BRILLIANT!!!!!! Oh! My! GOSH!!!! Thank you SOOOOOO much for your help with this!!!!!!!!

This works in the first column but when I try to create a second Formula for a second column It doesn't work.
Hi Promyese43. I'd recommend starting your own thread with the question, rather than jumping on a thread that is more than a year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back