• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Auto-Updating Charts in Another Excel Spreadsheet

Door

Hello!

I'm wondering if there's a way to have charts auto-update (both formatting and data) from one excel spreadsheet to another to eliminate the need for replication.

I have data/charts in my master excel spreadsheet. I copy the charts into a different excel spreadsheet. I modify/change the format or data of the master excel spreadsheet charts, but the charts in the new spreadsheet do not automatically update to reflect these changes in the master file. Is there a way to have them automatically update without the need for recopying/pasting all of the charts from the master document to the new one?

I've been playing around for a quite a while now and only get to the point where the data points automatically update in the new file, but the format never seems to do so... (e.g. changes to axis, adding additional trend lines, etc.)

Thank you very much for your help!
-Door

It's not exactly what I wanted, and after trying it several times it doesn't seem to work. I used the first option (pasting a group of cells as a picture.) I took a group of cells from one excel file and posted it as a picture into another. However, when I update the chart or move it out of the original group of cells, the content of the posted picture in the second excel file doesn't change. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hi ,

If you can upload your file , it makes things easier.

I tried out the procedure described in the first link , and there was no problem.

1. I created a chart in one workbook , say WB_A , and positioned the chart in the range of cells I2 through P16.

2. I selected this range of cells , and pressed CTRL C to copy.

3. Going to the second workbook , say WB_B , I clicked on the following on the Home tab :

Paste , As Picture , Paste Picture Link

Now , when I change values in WB_A , it automatically updates the picture in WB_B.

Narayan

Back