• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Southeast Climate Warming Trend (20 yrs of Data)

Hello Narayan,

The graph result (Data Model -Discovery, Analyzing, Visualization) is very interesting. I need to understand the plateau and the low valley reading. I am trying to see if the Visualization can be shown in a different way from what is being shown. I may need to revisit the way that I worded the questions. In this problem, there is what is call First Frost Date and Last Frost Date. These dates maybe what really determine the actual growing season or period for a plant. I think that there may be an actual formula or program that let you see it from the data. I will do some more home work because I think that I saw a bar chart or table that showed those beginning date (First Frost Date) and ending date (Last Frost Date) for actual growing season. I will trying to get more understanding of this Growing Season Concept and see how the Average Temp and Average Soil temp are actually being used in determining this graph. This graph is really very impressive for me as I Analyze. But to a lay person(farmer etc.) who is not technical it may take a while to get what the graph is saying.

Hello Narayan,

The graph result (Data Model -Discovery, Analyzing, Visualization) is very interesting. I need to understand the plateau and the low valley reading. I am trying to see if the Visualization can be shown in a different way from what is being shown. I may need to revisit the way that I worded the questions. In this problem, there is what is call First Frost Date and Last Frost Date. These dates maybe what really determine the actual growing season or period for a plant. I think that there may be an actual formula or program that let you see it from the data. I will do some more home work because I think that I saw a bar chart or table that showed those beginning date (First Frost Date) and ending date (Last Frost Date) for actual growing season. I will trying to get more understanding of this Growing Season Concept and see how the Average Temp and Average Soil temp are actually being used in determining this graph. This graph is really very impressive for me as I Analyze. But to a lay person(farmer etc.) who is not technical it may take a while to get what the graph is saying.
Hello Narayan,

I was reaching back out to you again about the step for creating the graph of the (First Frost Date and Last Frost Date). I went out on the internet and reach out to a University Professor from Washington State on this topics of Weather. This is his response below that I received from the Professor:

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately average temperature would not do the job. You would need the daily minimum temperature for each day and for each year. You would look for the last day during Jan - June that the Tmin < 0 and the first day during July - December that Tmin < 0. You take these two dates and the total number of days between the two dates is the frost free season. There is no real equation, as this is an iterative procedure. One could sort the dates for the six months in a spreadsheet to get a quick number and the same for the last six months.

Is this making since of what I am saying. I was thing that a bar chart would show the start day and number of growing day for the tomatoes. He is an example chart of the Growing period.

Attachments

• TomatoCropGrowingSeason20yrTrend.jpg
    TomatoCropGrowingSeason20yrTrend.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 3
Hi Clarence ,

I think the bar chart as you have shown it may confuse ; for instance in April 2000 , the bar is coloured till 14 ; I am sure you mean that the last frost day in the period Jan - June 2000 was on April 14 , in which case , the bar should be coloured from April 15 onwards ?

Wouldn't a line chart be more clear ?

Narayan

Hi Clarence ,

I think the bar chart as you have shown it may confuse ; for instance in April 2000 , the bar is coloured till 14 ; I am sure you mean that the last frost day in the period Jan - June 2000 was on April 14 , in which case , the bar should be coloured from April 15 onwards ?

Wouldn't a line chart be more clear ?

Narayan
Hello Narayan,

You are correct with the fact that it would be showing the days before and beyond the April 15 forward as a bar chart. The line chart would be more clear.

Back