• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Plotting graph with dynamic Column namedrange and grouped columns

sampahmel

Hello all,

I'd like to plot a dynamic graph.

However, my data layout is interrupted by Grouped Columns (column A to J) and Data Titles (taking several cells, column K to M).

How should I input the formula for NamedRange?

Attached is my worksheet to illustrate my case.

Attachments

• QForChandooA.xlsx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
Hi ,

The COUNTA function only looks at whether cells are populated or not ; not whether they are grouped or not.

See your file.

Narayan

Attachments

• QForChandooA.xlsx
    12.6 KB · Views: 8
Hi. I tried to graph the 2 NamedRanges variables but excel keeps returning this message, which basically says that the formula I typed contains an error. What's going on?

upload_2014-4-28_17-27-0.png

Hi Sampahmel!

I think problem, is not with named range.. Did you tried the same formula.. by turning your monitor upside down..
:eek:

Please upload sample file.. and let us know.. you secret named range formula .. :)

Hi Debraj,

The file is same as the one provided by
NARAYANK991 above.

The NamedRange formula provided by him/her is as follow:
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$K$2,0,3,1,COLUMNS(Real_GDP_by_Expenditure_in_SGD_mil))

&

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$K$4,0,3,1,COUNTA(Sheet1!$4:$4)-1)

Something which I don't quite get it, why is it that "Real_GDP_by_Expenditure_in_SGD_mil" is in the first offset formula? Is this necessary if I want to plot the second OFFSET formula against the first offset formula?

Hi..

Given that I've grouped Column A to J, when inputting NamedRange using OFFSET and COUNTA formula, need I take into account of Column A to J?
Same questiona above for column K to M.
What if I want to further add data before column N (i.e. 4Q2008 or 4Q2005) in the future, can the graph capture it dynamically?
Can you please provide some more detail..
  • Where is the Account number in Column A to J
  • Where is the Account number in Column K to M
  • Where is the dynamic invisible graph with named range formula.
  • What are the matrix for your graph..

Hi Debraj,

My answers in red in the attached file.

As for the graph, I would hope to have it being dynamic.

Attachments

• QForChandooAA.xlsx
    14 KB · Views: 4
Hi ,

Can you comment on this file ?

Narayan

Hi Narayank991,

That looks awesome. I tried to insert columns on the to add 4Q2008 and and 4Q2013. They seem to be working well. Thanks.

Regarding the formulae,

I suppose this doesn't use COUNTA because the date has to correspond to GDP?

And,

Why does it require a -1?

Hi Narayank991,

Further to my queries above, say if I want to add another row (row5) on GDP growth (%), do I change the formula to

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$K$5,0,3,1,COUNTA(Sheet1!$5$5)-1)

But in this case, the NamedRange for date no longer is linked to the data via COLUMNS(Real_GDP_by_Expenditure_in_SGD_mil) of =OFFSET(Sheet1!$K$2,0,3,1,COLUMNS(Real_GDP_by_Expenditure_in_SGD_mil))

Hi ,

The dynamic named range which is more important is the data range , since your X-axis quarters , in row 2 , have already been filled in till 1Q2014 ; you can even have the row filled in for another 5 years , if you wish.

So ,we should extend the X-axis as far as the data , and not the other way around.

So , the named range for the X-axis ( DatebyQuarter ) , uses the formula :

which says that we start from $K$2 , offset this by 3 columns so that the X-axis actually starts from N2. The number of columns in the X-axis is just the number of columns in the named range for the data i.e. Real_GDP_by_Expenditure_in_SGD_mil.

The data named range has the formula :

which says we start by offsetting the base reference of K4 by 3 columns , to start from N4. How many columns do we go up to ? We take the result of the COUNTA function over row 4 ; this returns the number of non-blank columns in this row , and since we have data in columns N through AF , and also in column K , we need to subtract 1 ; instead of the COUNTA function , if you use the COUNT function , which counts only numeric data , then you need not subtract 1 , since the COUNT function will not count the text in column K.

Narayan

Hi ,

For your query , I suggest that as you add more series to your chart , let all of them be referenced to one base series ; thus for your second series , you can use the same formula for the named range :

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$K$5,0,3,1,COLUMNS(Real_GDP_by_Expenditure_in_SGD_mil))

so that any time you modify the definition of one named range , all others will adjust themselves.

Narayan

Hi ,

For your query , I suggest that as you add more series to your chart , let all of them be referenced to one base series ; thus for your second series , you can use the same formula for the named range :

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$K$5,0,3,1,COLUMNS(Real_GDP_by_Expenditure_in_SGD_mil))

so that any time you modify the definition of one named range , all others will adjust themselves.

Narayan

Hi Narayank991,

First of all, thanks a lot for your help.

From what I can gather, it means that it is better to reference my data to one single NamedRange, in this case do you agree that choosing the Date as the NamedRange is a good idea?

For example,

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$K$4,0,3,1,COLUMNS(DateByQuarter))

Hi ,

The point is that you have already filled in the dates beyond your data ; so if you reference all your named ranges to your X-axis , the X-axis will have all the quarters , and where there is no data , you will have a value of 0 ; if this is acceptable to you , no problem.

Referencing all the named ranges to any one data row will ensure that the X-axis , and all the data series will extend to as many columns as the referenced data row.

It's your choice really , but my suggestion is only that instead of referencing each named range on its own , reference all of them to one named range , which ever one it is ; that way when the base named range changes , all the others will follow suit.

Narayan

Hi,

Narayank991, I took your advice but this has introduced another complication.

Even if I reference the date to GDP, now the graph still has value of 0 as shown in my file. Can you show me how to fix this?

Thank you.

Attachments

• ChandooQC.xlsx
    20.1 KB · Views: 5
Hi ,

This is a totally new twist ; are there any more to come ?

First , I do not understand why the column labelled Last Update has to be in the midst of data , thus forcing it to move along with the data ; why can you not position it in column D ? In case you do not want to view it , why not put it out of the way in column CA or somewhere far away from the data ?

Secondly , since your data extends up to different periods , we cannot tie the X-axis to the data ; it will have to be the other way around.

I have changed the definitions of the named ranges ; see your file now.

Narayan

Attachments

• ChandooQC.xlsx
    18.9 KB · Views: 5
Back