• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Pivot Table not recognizing the dates hence not able to Group them by date

Hello, I have generated a data in a sheet and now want to make a pivot from this. The problem start as the pivot do not see them as date while the Data sheet treat them as Date. i have verified this by applying filters. i have have tried to set the formatting and also used the text to coloum approach to convert these data in to dates. what can be the cause?

Please find the Workbook. i just need that date in coloum and grouped by (say Month and Year)

Attachments

• Pivot.xlsx
    234.2 KB · Views: 11
Good day kuldeepjainesl

As per the upload?
Grouped by Month

Attachments

• Pivot.xlsx
    263.2 KB · Views: 11
Hello Bob, the question is what is the issue at my excel copy. How did you achieve it? i am not able to get this option on my PC while it used to be there.

I am not sure what is wrong at your end.....but all i did was move the fields from column to row and then right clicked on the data and grouped by month! So that as you expand each month you get the data.
You say the "option" used to be there, but what option? What is not there could be anything, and as there are more ways to do something in Excel than there are to skin a cat you could be referring to anything.

Hello Bob, The point is that this problem is faced by many people as i searched over internet. there must be something common which we are missing.
When you click the group selection button the dilog box which used to come to provide a window to select group rule is not coming and it just group the data as text. Hope i am clear now

Hi Kuldeep ,

When I try it out in your initial upload , it works ; instead of the dates I get the month names Jan , Feb ,....

Narayan

Attachments

• Pivot.xlsx
    219.6 KB · Views: 4
That's the strange part of it. if the same file is working in your hand. there must be an issue with my copy. i think i should go for a reinstall.

i was trying to fix this as i was thinking that i might have set something wrong. thanks Narayan

Narayan, i figured it out. what i was doing was " i was selecting all the dates and trying to group that and it was failing"

while clicking on one date cell and click on group provide that group option. Silly mistake i was doing

Silly mistake i was doing
, No such thing, we all (hopefully) learn from our mistakes and we all make them.......But as you have found out by pick ALL the dates and then try to group them PT was spitting its dummy out. No need to select just right click and group as desired.

Back