• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Labeling incremental amounts within each total bar/column

Hi ,

I've gone through the article by Jon Peltier , and the job is a tedious one ! Given that you have 4 charities , each of whom can donate up to 4 times in a month , it is too much of work !

I suggest you look at some other way of depicting this ; in fact it may be easier to have a summary chart which shows totals for each charity over all the months , and if a specific charity is selected , then it depicts the breakdown of the charity totals using a second chart ; this kind of interactive display may be easier to create.

Narayan

Thanks for looking - it's nice to know it wasn't just me...
This seemingly simple graph is indeed devilishly complex!

Maybe you can help me with what another person has framed?
I am unable to do anything with this example, b/c all looks well *UNTIL* you click a formula and then the correct values change or go #N/A and so I am unable to reverse engineer it at all. It's a shame, b/c if you look at the chart right after you open it, it looks great in general, but I can't use it.
When you click a cell with a formula (on the "Data" sheet - the "Formulae" sheet is nothing, since I cannot move things yet...), it looks fine and the whole thing is wrapped in curly brackets, but if you then click on the formula in the field at the very top, and *do not edit it* (just hit return to leave it as-is), the value changes (2nd entry for Series 1 goes from 75 to 50 and others go from an actual value to #N/A) and the curly brackets disappear (putting them back doesn't help). Perhaps you can tell me why?

Attachments

• CharityTimeline_NEW.xlsm
    34.3 KB · Views: 6
Looks like it's an issue re: array formulae - ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter!
I always thought I was pretty savvy with Excel, but obviously there's more than a lot that I don't know...

Hi ,

I don't understand which formula you are referring to , since in addition to valid values , there are several columns of #NUM! error values ; the #N/A values are OK since they are a part of the formulae.

To clear your misunderstanding , if you press F2 to check a formula , pressing the ENTER or RETURN key to exit , even without modifying anything , converts the previously array-entered formula into a non-array-entered formula.

The proper way to exit a cell which has been entered by pressing F2 , is to press the ESC key , which will leave the formula in its original array-entered form.

Narayan

Back