• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Excel file with multiple sheets crashes. [SOLVED]

Hello friends,

Excel files with multiple sheets often crash. (I have some excel links; but no VBA etc).

My machine have 32GB RAM, 64bit on Windows 7.

Its very frustrating when you have just 2 sheets.

I tried to open a 3rd sheet & it crashed.

I can understand if my file has half a million rows it crashes.

So how to handle a challenge of this nature???

Thanks for your help.

James

Hi James ,

Is your problem restricted only to Excel , or does it happen with other software such as Word , Outlook ,... ?

What happens when you open workbooks which already have multiple worksheets ? Does Excel crash ?

Does Excel crash only when you try to create additional worksheets , or does it crash under other circumstances , or is it random ?

Have you run any diagnostic tests on your RAM to ensure that the hardware is problem-free ?

Are you sure your Excel installation has no problems ? Otherwise , you could do a repair / complete re-install , though this should be a last resort.

Narayan

Good day James

One way to help narrow down the problem is to open the Excel file on another computer, if it does not crash then it looks like a repair/reinstall, if it does crash then there are problems in the file.

Hi, James Perry!

Give a look at this file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60558749/Excel%20file%20with%20multiple%20sheets%20crashes.%20%28for%20James%20Perry%20at%20chandoo.org%29.xlsm

I don't think that multiple worksheets in a workbook would be the cause for crashing Excel, more even if you have 32Gb of RAM. Of course unless your Excel/Office installation were corrupted.

Play a little with the cyan button and check what happens. I stopped after a minute when worksheets count passed the 5K barrier on a 6Gb RAM PC.

If it works, I'd either try to repair or uninstall/reinstall Office or Excel. If it doesn't work besides doing that would you please update one of the files with which you have the issue?

BTW, you're running a PC with Win7x64, your Office is x64 too or it's a x86 32 bits version? x64 Office versions are a little more fussy, but they shouldn't present this issue.

Regards!

James

Does the problem happen with 1 file only or any file in Excel ?

If it is 1 particular file only

Open the file with Repair

Start Excel

File, Open

Select the File (Don't press Open)

Next to the Open is a small Drop down arrow

Select the arrow and Open and Repair

Save the file once open

Restart excel and open the file normally

Does that help

If not

Open the file

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F9

Save the file

Restart excel and open the file normally

Does that help

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F9 requests a full calculation with dependency tree rebuild

If it happens with all files, I would re-install Excel

Very many thanks Ninjas. This was the first time and in Excel only. ( I was using as friend's computer).

But what Excel Ninja Hui has finally suggested has solved the problem.

Regards,

James

Back