• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Create an Antibiogram using Excel

rhoyt

As a physician I often have to look up how sensitive a bacteria (bug) is to medication (drug) so I can use the best choice (the most sensitive). Every hospital publishes their local results (antibiogram) and physicians usually get a piece of paper with the table of roughly 10 antibiotics and 10 common bacteria. What I would like to do is create a template with only three fields. One field is "Bug" another is "Drug" and the last one is % sensitivity. Ideally, Bug and Drug would have a drop down menu to save steps. So, if I select E.coli as the bug and ampicillin as the drug, the third window would give me e.g. 50% sensitivity (like a calculator). The ultimate goal would be to save the calculator/spreadsheet as a web page and embed it on my web site and access it from my smart phone for access regardless of location. What would be really excellent is if there could be some way other hospitals could take my Excel template and host it on another web page (on my web site or theirs). Perhaps I am asking too much. Can Excel do this or do I need a relational database? Many thanks.....Bob

Hi ,

Do you mean to say that you get the results from a hospital in the form of a lookup table ? If you say there are 10 bacteria , and 10 antibiotics , does that mean there can be a maximum of 100 entries ?

If so , Excel can certainly do the lookup into the table and return the sensitivity value.

However , embedding this in a webpage and then accessing it from a smartphone is something I have no idea about. Others may be able to say more on this.

Narayan

@rhoyt

HI

Firstly Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums and we are glad your are here

Is it possible to upload a sample file which is helpful to forum readers and ninjas to better understand

for upload a sample file please look at the top of forums 4 Green Sticky Keys

Thanks

SP

@rhoyt

HI

Firstly Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums and we are glad your are here

Is it possible to upload a sample file which is helpful to forum readers and ninjas to better understand

for upload a sample file please look at the top of forums 4 Green Sticky Keys

Thanks

SP

Hello Dr. Bob,

Welcome to Chandoo. org forum.

Your requirement can certainly be achieved using excel (as Narayan said).

Regarding accessing the same from smartphone is something I have some idea about.

I do work in pharmaceutical field where we design such interactive tools and make them accessible through smartphones, specially for doctors. Let me explain it to you bit in more detail.

For example,a comparative clinical study conducted for 'Estradiol Vaginal Ring' with other comparator drugs in order to compare certain side effects to find out whether any significant difference exists between the test drug and each one of the comparators, with the help of 'P' value.The design of the interface would be something like; on left hand side (row wise) comparators are listed and column wise (at the top) ADRs are mentioned. Each cell of this metrics is color coded based on the P value as follows:

Significant difference = green, no difference red..so on and so forth.Drop down feature could be provided for the comparator list. Selecting each comparator against the test drug, would give the color grid to quickly help doctors understand how better the test drug is w.r.t. the comparator on the basis of ADR profile.

For embedding this on a website / accessing this through a smartphone, the excel piece of information needs to be converted into xml file and import the same in 'adobe flash' to design the final output which can be made available in a webpage of your choice.

Several such things can be done w.r.t. drugs comparative efficacy, sensitivity scoring (your case) etc.

However, we can certainly speak more about it with further details. Meanwhile, can you please share some sample data and upload your workbook here:

http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/posting-a-sample-workbook

Regards,

Kaushik

Hi

As a long time lurker and recent forum convert, this question as really grabbed my interest.

Do you mean something that looks like this: https://pm.caregroup.org/abgm.asp

From a website that seems to be talking about what you want to do: http://geekdoctor.blogspot.co.uk/2008_02_01_archive.html

From how I read your requirements, Excel can handle the processing fine (some auto filters would do it ??) - but I am not sure how this translates into the web space that you are looking for.

Whilst using Excel seems an easy way (for personal PC use) getting it into HTML can be the tricky part.

Suggestion 1

Use GoogleDocs or MicrosoftLive to link to a spreadsheet online (possibly over kill)

Suggestion 2

Create a html table of the results and use some javascript to make the table sortable:

http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/tablefilter.shtml << explains how to do it.

If you can supply some data, I'll make a web page for you using suggestion 2.

Cheers

G

imgonna gave an excellent example of an antibiogram in his first link. It is a table with about 16 drugs and 16 bugs. While I could just download a pdf of this table on any device it would be impossible to navigate; hence the notion to create a calculator and/or application with drop down menus to save screen real estate. Years ago I created an antibiogram for the PDA that used hyperlinks to link to multiple drug tables; each on a separate page. Made navigation really simple.

To be really useful it should be readily accessible from any location and 3g phones provide that Internet access. I have a Word Press web site so I could create a page to host it with its unique URL. It may be extremely difficult to create e.g. template that other hospitals can use but still is a worthy goal. Thanks....Bob

Rhoyt

Is the "app-ness" of this most important?

I can create a html web page that pulls in the data from .csv file (from Excel) into a table that allows you to search / select from drop down combo boxes - quite easily.

If the .csv is stored in a Dropbox public folder, then uploading updates and sharing of the data is a breeze.

This I'll have a go at - sounds interesting.

Creating it more as a "APP" is something that I have no experience in, but when I get 5 minutes I'll have a look at.

G

IMGONNA,

It absolutely doesn't have to be an app per se. It can simply be a user friendly web based program/application,etc that is easy to access and easy to navigate. KISS principle. Ideally, if hyperlinks are used we could link to additional comments or "pearls of wisdom". I refer to this as a smart database. It could then be more than an antibiogram; it could be an infectious disease resource.

Docs used to carry around tons of paper in their white coats so they could remember "pearl", best treatments, like antibiotics of choice. In Nov 1999 Epocrates was released so docs could quickly access drug information, instead of searching through 3500 pages of the PDR. I teach Health Informatics at a local university so have a vested interest in promoting technology tools to help busy docs. I have no plans to market/sell anything.

Thanks for your efforts

Bob

Hi

I go for the KISS approach.

Currently downloading a html5 ide to see if I can make this work, properly formatted on mobile devices.

Seems to me a table, with pages approach (with the different "bugs" on pages is the way to go). Then I can display a page with ALL the drug info on.

Hopefully formatted onto a mobile device screen.

SImples (mmMMMM maybe not)

Hi Bob

So, I've been playing with this as it really intrigues me. Reading a csv into a web page is not trivial as it is not part of the core html set (html5 does have the function, but I dont play with the big boys!!)

But, you can achieve it with some ajax / javascript code.

Have a look at: http://glengilchrist.co.uk/csv/table.html

Whilst not the prettiest, as its just a proof of concept, it does pull the data for the table from a .csv file that is save in my Dropbox public folder.

So, to update the table, I just need to save a file to my local Dropbox Public folder, and then DropBox syncs that to the cloud in the background.

When http://glengilchrist.co.uk/csv/table.html is refreshed, the data in the table has changed.

I am trying to fit this into a Webkit browser so that it is styled to fit onto a mobile device... but thought I'd update so that you'd know I've not forgotten it.

So, Bob do you have some actual data you can share so I can make a version that works for you with your numbers?

(I smell an APP here for iPhone and Droid --- if you're interested in collaboration)

Cheers

Glen

Hi

For those who watched this thread.

So far we are in the third version of this: http://glengilchrist.co.uk/csv/table3.html

Back to the original post and what you see there is pulled straight from a csv file exported from Excel. No tweaking in Excel, just dumped into csv and imported into HTML with Javascript / AJAX

The formatting is added with JQuery Mobile.

I know this one was off topic, in so much as Excel was only the start of the question / answer, for me it shows how data can be set free with the correct use of complementing technologies.

Glen

Back