• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

1st match column header, 2nd lookup a value in same column, 3rd return corresponding value from the very first column ?? need help

skyh3ck

Hello guys

i have a data base where i want to first find the column header, 2nd in same column find a certain date, and 3rd return correponding date from same row 1st column.

So i have prepared one sample excel file

Sheet one - Calc - where user can enter the class and dates
Sheet two - Log - this log is where the data feeded each month regularly this is the file from where i have to retrieve the date

This is sheet one - where user will update the class and date of file, i want result from another sheet log where i have data feeded

1704596668608.png

This is the second sheet or tab where data is feeded - so whatever class is selected, the formula should first go in that column and check when the date of file crossed, and give me the date of current for that particular date of file. However one catch - some time in some case, date of file can go back, as marked in red, in that case any previous available date gets ignore, unless new date of file is not crossed in same column.

1704596714116.png

Attachments

• calc.xlsx
    17.4 KB · Views: 3
. However one catch - some time in some case, date of file can go back, as marked in red, in that case any previous available date gets ignore, unless new date of file is not crossed in same column.
I don't understand what you mean ?

skyh3ck

Is there somewhere Your expected result?
Could You show other way - what do You need? ( step-by-step )
... from which date (cell?) >> to which cells >> to which cell
... ... especially if something is red and something will happen

skyh3ck

as You've already noted with
  • Cross-Posting. Generally, it is considered poor practice to cross post. That is to post the same question on several forums in the hope of getting a response quicker.
  • If you do cross-post, please put that in your post.
  • Also if you have cross-posted and get an Solution elsewhere, have the courtesy of posting the Solution here so other readers can learn from the answer also, as well as stopping people wasting their time on your answered question.
You can read more from:

skyh3ck

Is there somewhere Your expected result?
Could You show other way - what do You need? ( step-by-step )
... from which date (cell?) >> to which cells >> to which cell
... ... especially if something is red and something will happen
step one - user will update cell B2 and B4 - B2 is column header, B4 is the date in that column
step two - right now user have to manually go into log sheet and check the date for that header, (B4)
step three - look for the date from B4 (date of file) should chek the very first time that date crosses in same column, if i find that date or any larer date, then i want corresponding date of same row from column one (date of current column A), result in cell B6 in calculation sheet.

however one catch, if i find the date under the header i also have to check if ever in same column in later months any retro date appeared, it means the new new old date should be my return value, untill i find new latest date.

Red date just to express that and old date has overtaken any previous dates

so i am just 1 - match the column header
2 - lookup the date of file in same column
3 - if found, return me date from date of current column

skyh3ck

# Is there ... skipped
# Could You show ... skipped
... instead show ... You wrote something about manually tasks ...

# replies #4 & #5 ... skipped

Back