• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Excel question

Nader

Hi,

I have data in an excel sheet that provides a time and date at which a certain meal was
taken during the day. For example breakfast at 9:00 am, lunch at 3:30 pm and dinner at 5:00 pm.

The meal time includes a start date, end date, start time and end time. With this data I can calculate how long it took to eat a meal.

However, I would like to calculate the difference in time between each meal in relation to the meal previous to it. So for example, if breakfast finished at 9:00 am and lunch was eaten at 2:00 pm on the same day the difference between the meals is 5 hrs.

The challenge is that the data I have in excel has multiple entries for breakfast, lunch and dinner for different dates. How can I calculate the time difference between meals for each single day and ensure that I don't calculate the time difference between meals on different dates?

Any help will be appreciated. I have attached the excel sheet with sample data.

Thanks,
Nader

Attachments

• meal_data.xlsx
    11.9 KB · Views: 5
Hi,

Please find the attached workbook, if it meets your requirement.

Regards,

Attachments

• meal_data - Sol.xlsx
    11.8 KB · Views: 2
Hi Bhawani, I want to calculate the difference in time between each meal not the time it took to eat each meal.

To illustrate better here is an example of the results that I want after the calculations are done:

- Dinner was eaten 2 hrs after lunch on March 3, 2014
- Lunch was eaten 5 hrs after breakfast on April 2, 2014
etc.

What I am not looking for is:

- It took 2 hrs to eat dinner on March 3, 2014
- It took 1 hr to eat breakfast April 2, 2014

Hope this clarifies the ask. Thank you

Regards,
Nader

Narayanan, Thank you very much!! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you so much again! Really appreciate it.

Nader

Back