• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

PowerPivot Data refresh from an Excel file (not working)

Hi,

I have creating a PowerPivot from an external excel data source. So basically there are two files one with data and one with PowerPivot. I have modified the data source file, i.e., i have added some columns in the data source file and have modified some rows. When I try to refresh the data in PowerPivot, it refreshes the rows. However, it doesn't show new columns I have added in the data source file. Any timely response is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Shanker

Hi,

Click on pivot table<Options<Change data Source & include the new columns added in the data source, hope this solves your problem.

Hi,

Click on pivot table<Options<Change data Source & include the new columns added in the data source, hope this solves your problem.
Hi,

Thanks for your response,

What I meant was, once I refresh the source data which is in excel (in a separate file), and now when I go to "Manage" view under PowerPivot, and then do refresh all there, the new column is not available there. However, wherever i have updated the rows it is reflected.

I have attached both the views, the data source view and the PowerPivot view. You will notice i have added a new column named "USPS" in Source Data file. And this column is not reflected under PowerPivot --> Manage Option.

Please help.

Thanks,
Shanker

Attachments

• Datasource_view.JPG
    Datasource_view.JPG
    302.6 KB · Views: 8
  • PowerPivot_View.JPG
    PowerPivot_View.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 8
Hi Shankar,

when you refresh the pivot table the column will get added to the pivot table field list, now you have to select USPS from the pivot table field list, then only the column & the relevant data will get updated in the pivot table. If still the problem persist, please attached the excel.

Hi Shanker,

I've recently had the exact same problem myself, here's what to do:

1) Go to PowerPivot tab in Excel > Manage
2) In the data screen go to Design tab > Table Properties
3) Scroll across and tick the new column headers
4) Save
5) Refresh the data
6) The new columns will show right at the end of the table now and are available to select in pivots etc

Back