• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Non Excel question - Data security and it’s implications

ThrottleWorks

Excel Ninja
Hi,

I have few queries regarding data security. I am aware this is not excel related question, moderator please delete my post if necessary.

Most of us (in India) are aware about e-commerce portals such as OLX, Quickr, Magickbricks, 99 Acres.

These portals act as middlemen in virtual world and bring together prosepective buyer and seller.

Their database includes information about users.

My query is,

1)
If person X hacks a website, steals the data, mis-use it then what are the obligations for website owner

I understand, it is duty of portal owner to protect the data which he failed.
But is he legally sued for this, also will he be held responsible for failing to protect data only or it will also include crimes commited by third person by misusing data.

2) second query is, if the buyer and seller decide to meet in person and unforunately there is some crime say cheating or delivery of fake goods.
Then will the portal owner held responsible for this. What are his obligations here.
I know these are way too off topic here but if anyone can guide me, will be really helpful for my further understanding

P.S. - Also, is there anyone here who has expertise in setting up a website (preferabally from Pune).
I will direct messege you my e-mail id so that we can discuss there and not mis-use Forum space.

P.S.1 - Dear moderator, hope these type of queries are allowed and I am not violating rules of the Forum !

Last edited:
Throttleworks

You have asked the question in the Lounge Forum which is where it should be asked, so no issues there

I'd suggest that the laws that relate to privacy and protection of data are country or even state specific and so a general answer may not be appropriate

I doubt that there is any flow on negligence/liability resulting from somebody stealing data and then misusing it, but I am not a Lawyer in this area.
But if you steal my axe and then murder someone with it, I don'tbelieve I have any liability.

@Hui Sir, thanks a lot for the help. You are right, laws are location specific.

Bit worried about data security. At present just checking the feasiblity, once I am done with my homework I will approach C.A. / Legal experts.

Have a nice weekend. :)

Back