• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Need Help with Excel Macros

Ray Acocella

Hello,
First post, so forgive me if this has been asked previously. I am a LAN Analyst for the City of Dover, DE and one of my tasks is to help our Power Plant staff. I replaced an older server (Windows SVR 2003) with a new server (Windows SVR 2008) and I am having problems with several spreadsheets that have macros in them. The macros were written in 1998 and they are calling for the old server. Is there a way to quickly change these references to the old server in the macros? These excel spreadsheets are saved on several user PC's and I would like a way to modify these spreadsheets or to share them from the server.

I understand Excel but haven't worked with macro's like these before. I would appreciate any help on tackling this issue.
Thanks

Hi Ray, and welcome.

Sounds like quite an unique challenge. My first thought would be to try and narrow down the source of error. When you try to run the macro, does it run a little bit and then crash, or not at all? The latter would indicate a compile error, and would cause me to look at the Variabe definitions and Tools-Resources listed.
The former, I'd try to track down what's causing the error. Is there a path/link defined somewhere, either in the code or workbook? Can we change this to the correct path?

Each of the spreadsheets runs for a short time and then crashes. The spreadsheets will then ask to debug and change the server name. The spreadsheets have 5 or more macros attached to them and most require the change in the server name. If I change the server name, the change does not stay with the spreadsheet upon closing.

Is the macro stored within the actual spreadsheet, or is it some type of add-in/other workbook? You could try opeing up the Visual Basic Editor (VBE), and then do a Find within the VBE, searching an entire project for the phrase that is causing problem. Then, you should be able to save the file and keep the change.

Back