Copy Paste Visible Cells only (Two more ways to do it)
Last week, we talked about how to copy and paste visible cells alone (ie exclude any filtered rows or hidden columns etc.) In the comments section many of you suggested two more ways to deal with this annoying problem. Let’s take a look them.
Use the shortcut ALT + ;
- Select the entire range you want to copy
- Now press ALT+; to select only visible cells
- Press CTRL+C to copy and Paste as usual
Add “Select Visible Cells” option to ribbon or QAT
If you are like me, then chances are you won’t remember the ALT+; shortcut if you use it once in a blue moon. That is where this option comes handy. Add “Select Visible Cells” icon to your ribbon or quick access toolbar. This way, when you need, it is right there. Follow below steps.
Right click on ribbon and choose “Customize Ribbon”.
- Now, if this is the first time you are adding commands to ribbon, you need to add a “new group” to one of the ribbons.
- Then from the left hand listing, choose “Commands not in the ribbon”
- Scroll down and click on “Select Visible Cells”
- Select the custom group on right hand side.
- Click on “Add” to include “Select Visible Cells” feature to your ribbon.
See below illustration for the process.
The process is similar for adding to QAT, except you don’t need to create a group.
So there you go. While you are at it, you can discover some gems in the “Commands not in ribbon” thingie. Try adding a few more.
What is your favorite way to deal with copy / pasting visible cells alone?
My preferred option is to use Go to Special > Visible cells to highlight what matters and then copy pasting as usual. Now that I blogged about ALT+;, it is etched in to my memory.
What about you? How do you copy paste visible cells alone? Do you have any other pasting tricks? Please share in the comments section.
Introducing our Online Power BI Class:
Would you like to join me on a date with Power BI? In this comprehensive online class, learn all about Power BI so you can create beautiful, insightful & interactive reports. Join me and rest of the play mates for our first ever Power BI Play Date.Click here to know more and join us.
Leave a Reply
|Copy & paste visible cells only [Excel Trick]||Convert unevenly spaced list to table [Data from Hell]|