CP019: 6 Tips for Best Practice Modeling – Interview with Danielle from Plum Solutions
In the 19th session of Chandoo.org podcast, lets talk about modeling best practices.
What is in this session?
I am very happy to interview my good friend, blogger, author, excel trainer & business-women – Danielle Stein Fairhurst for this session. I first met Danielle when I went to Sydney, Australia in April 2012. Our friendship & collaboration grew a lot in the last 2.5 years. She is a great speaker & trainer. This episode is loaded with her trademark style commentary, explanation & tips for better modeling. I hope you will enjoy it.
In this podcast, you will learn,
- Introduction to Danielle & her work
- 6 Tips for Best Practice Modeling
- Write consistent formulas
- Avoid hard-coding
- Smart referencing
- Ditch the bad habits
- Document assumptions
- Format & label things
- Resources for learning more
Go ahead and listen to the show
Links & Resources mentioned in this session:
Download Example Workbook
Please download the example workbook Danielle created to understand these tips.
- Visit Plum Solutions: her website for more tips, tutorials & articles on modeling, data analysis & Excel
- Get Danielle’s book: its great for both aspiring & working analysts (read my review)
- Join Danielle’s linked group: and network with fellow financial modelers & professionals
Learn how to create financial models in Excel
On Modeling Best Practices
- 5 tips on modeling best practices
- BASE rule for keeping your models simple
- 12 rules for making better Excel models
- 10 tips for better workbooks
- Introduction to Spreadsheet Risk Management
Other topics relevant to the podcast:
Transcript of this session:
What keeps your models sane & sexy?
I use all the tips recommended by Danielle. Apart from these, I also use ideas like named ranges, structural references, separation of input & output to keep my models user friendly.
What about you? Do you apply the tips suggested by Danielle? What else do you use to make your models awesome? Please share your tips & ideas using comments.
Introducing our Online Power BI Class:
Would you like to join me on a date with Power BI? In this comprehensive online class, learn all about Power BI so you can create beautiful, insightful & interactive reports. Join me and rest of the play mates for our first ever Power BI Play Date.Click here to know more and join us.
Leave a Reply
|Quickly convert numbers stored as text [tip]||Teach me (and rest of our community) something this Teachers’ Day|