• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

"workbook is protected and cannot be changed" error

sameershandilya

Hi,

I have an excel file which is linked to 4 reports which get saved to a dedicated folder every morning. Every time I open the file, it pulls all 4 reports.

I have created an interface in a separate tab which displays all that information in a structured format. All cells in that interface/tab are locked, except for the cell with unique key, which the user enters to see related information. The sheet is protect, along with the workbook.

Anyone can use this file, as long as they stay on the shared network where the 4 reports are saved.

It has been working fine for few months now.
However, in past few weeks there are some users who are starting to get this error "workbook is protected and cannot be changed", every time they open the file.
You could get rid of the error if you keep cancelling it, but the report doesn't get updated with latest reports.

Only thing I could think of was that these users' computers had some issues, but I couldn't figure it out, as nothing really had changed on their computers and everything else works fine.

Has anyone faced similar issues, or have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sameer

sameershandilya
Is that file 'Shared File'? ( by Share Workbook )
How many users use that file while those 'Notes' occur?
Which Excel version do You use? .. all user have same version?

File is not shared.
As of now I have two users which are getting that error.
Both of them recently got upgraded to Office 365, same as I.

sameershandilya
Have You checked those protections?
... that those are as always! ... none changed!
Is AutoSave-option on?
Do all users Excels has the latest updates?
If only You use this file, do it work as planned?

vletm
I did, everything is exactly the way it was.
I even tried the file that I was using on my computer, it didn't show any error on mine, but did on these two. Like I mentioned before, other than these two, other users are able to use the file without any problems.

I reached out to the IT/security dept as well, they said they haven't rolled out anything specific to these computers.

vletm
They are not new employees. It is shared folder, everyone in the organization has read/write access to it.

My IT dept is issuing a new laptop to one of the employees in couple of days. If that employee doesn't get any error on the new laptop, that would mean issue was with the laptop. I'll post an update here accordingly.

Thanks for the inputs though.

Back