• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Why editing macro written by others feel irritating

ThrottleWorks

Excel Ninja
Hi,

Sometimes we need to edit macros written by someone else.

Most of the times, editing process feels cumbersome and irritating.
Especially if the code is not commented or variables or not declared, it is a pain.

What is the best approach to make editing process smoother and quicker.

Anyone can help me in this please.

Hi !

Just be in good conditions : cool, rested, quiet, mind opened, …

When I feel that a code is not good, I do not edit it,
I replace it by a brand new one !

Normally I don't edit someone else's code. But deconstruct their code into each component part to understand what it does.

Then rewrite code to suite my need.

I find it easier to understand flow and it helps me learn concepts that I can apply else where.

Hi @Chihiro sir, thanks a lot for the help.

Sometimes, I apply my coding once the original code is complete.
This way I overwrite results by original code with my code.

Rather that editing lines in existing code, I apply my code at end.
Know it is weird, but works for me. :p

Hi @Chihiro sir, thanks a lot for the help.

Sometimes, I apply my coding once the original code is complete.
This way I overwrite results by original code with my code.

Rather that editing lines in existing code, I apply my code at end.
Know it is weird, but works for me. :p
If you have it working for you then any method is fine. Nothing weird in it. In fact in my previous office, I wrote some codes which complemented the extensive codes written by Japanese counterpart.

It depends on how frequently you have to do it and how much does your profile demands. e.g. if you are working as programmer and you get pieces of codes written by others to maintain and you need to do it as client commitment then you don't have much of an option. But things change if it is not part of job description as you are not delivering the code as product.

It will not always be bad code IMHO although you may get some. It depends on who wrote it. It could be good educational experience at times.

And if you think that someone is writing too much s*** then look for your old codes when you started. Some of my old codes make me shudder!

But ultimately they worked and saved some time either for me or someone else. That is what matters anyway.

Back