• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Why does AutoFilter appear on columns without columns headings

Row 10 in my spreadsheet has column headings. I select row 10, then apply AutoFilter. AutoFilters appear on all column headings as they should, however when I scroll all the way to the right to the last column (column AS), I still see AutoFilters appearing under columns AT through BN (on row 10), even though those columns do not have any column headings.

On these columns (AT:BN) w/o column headings, I click the AutoFilter button to see if there is any data under these columns. As it turns out there is no data at all under these columns.

Did Excel is place AutoFilters under these columns (AT:BN) because there might be something in those cells such as space characters? I checked those cells and those cells are blank too.

So why are AutoFilters appearing under columns (AT:BN) even though these columns do not have any column headings or data values under those columns?

If you select an entire row to filter, XL will guess that you want a width equal to the 'Used Range'. This range can be a bit nebulous, as XL doesn't always properly know where the last cell is. For you to see what XL sees, try hitting Ctrl+End. This will take you to bottom-right cell of the Used Range.

The most common way to try and reset this, if the Range is larger than you want it to be, is to select the entire rows/columns and right-click, Delete. Then Save the workbook. That works 99% of the time.

Back