• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Want to know the position of nth occurence of a number in a text or string

Hi All,

I need your help to know the nth occurence of a number in a Text or String.

For example, I have written "anupam53" in cell A1 and now I want the position of first occurence of a number e.g. 5 here or may be 2nd occurence e.g. 3 within this text.

I have tried below array formula but its not working and I have also searched this site and not reached to the solution.

{=FIND({"0","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9"},A1,1)}

when I pressed F9 in the formula, it shows ={#VALUE!,#VALUE!,#VALUE!,8,#VALUE!,7,#VALUE!,#VALUE!,#VALUE!,#VALUE!}

it means its showing the position but don't know how to get this in result.

Please assist if it is possible and also let me know if I am not clear to explain you above.

Thanks & Regards,

Anupam Tiwari

Try this array formula:

=SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(--MID($A$2,ROW($A$1:INDEX(A:A,LEN($A$2))),1)),ROW($A$1:INDEX(A:A,LEN($A$2)))),1)

Here $A$2 holds anupam53

Not array entered

Code:
=MIN(FIND({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}))

I dont know much excel,but i konw SEARCH formula returns the number of the character at which a specific character or text string is first found. You may find the second occurance by changing the start_num in the SEARCH formula( for example using another search formula and adding 1 to it to skip the 1st occurance)

I konw this is not a solution, but maybe it will help you get an idea :)

For example, I have written "anupam53" in cell A1 and now I want the position of first occurence of a number e.g. 5 here or may be 2nd occurence e.g. 3 within this text."

It sounds like you want to return the digit itself rather than its position.

This will return the first digit as a string:

=MID(A1,SMALL(SEARCH({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&"0123456789"),1),1)

This will return the second digit as string:

=MID(A1,SMALL(SEARCH({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&"0123456789"),2),1)

If the digit occurence is out of bounds then the formula returns an empty string.

Hi shrivallabha,

You are genius, the formula is working fine for me, giving result what i wanted.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

Anupam Tiwari

@Hui,

Thanks a lot Hui for your help, as always you provide with very nice solutions.

your solution is working fine however I have just tweaked as below

{=SMALL(FIND({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}),$B$1)} where $B$1 cell will have nth occurence number so its giving me any occurence of the number in the text.

@Colin Legg

Your formula has resolved my another query that I have missed here to ask to get the number itself as per the occurence in the text.

Thanks a lot for such a great help.

@elhamdkh

I have tried SEARCH however it was not working for me.

Thanks for your try.

Thanks to all for helping me with such nice solutions.

Regards,

Anupam Tiwari

Back