• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

vlookup

Rodrigo

Why does the vlookup function give the result of the value just above the one that I am looking for. For example, a series of values:

0.448;0.449;0.450;0.451, I'm looking for 0.451 and the answer comes up as 0.450.

Thanks in advance

Rodrigo

ARe you sure that the value is exactly 0.451,, either value, it may have other decimal places that are not showing.

Yes, its exactly like this, even the number format is "general".

What I have is user defined occupancy rates that start at 0 all the way to 100, in increments of 0.01, the range is therefore rather large but frustrating because the lookup value is always out by a small fraction.

Regards

Rodrigo

In your posts above you say that your looking for the value 0.451,

and then later you say that your list is 0 - 100 in 0.01 steps

Hence the value 0.451 doesn't exist in your list and the value just smaller than it is 0.45

I asume your list goes up by 0.001 not 0.01

If that is true I can't reproduce your problem

What version of Excel are you using ?

Hui, yes sorry, it goes up in increments of 0.001, eg 0.4508; 0.4509; 0.4510; 0.4511; 0.4512 etc.

The version of excel is 2007.

Rodrigo

Further to this, how can it be that if I get vlookup to look up another value and then afterwards change that value back to the one that I'm looking for, the answer comes up correctly but a further try gives the incorrect answer one again.

Rodrigo

Sorted, instead of using excel's autofill for the data table, I converted the latter to formulas and it works.

Rodrigo

Back