• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Vlookup

Ram Chandran

Hi Excel Gurus,

I have attached Sample worksheet. I have doubt in Vlookup function.

The lookup value inside multiple values in a cell means how can i put vlookup function.

Kindly help me this.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Book2.xlsx
    9.6 KB · Views: 9
try
=VLOOKUP("*"&$H$3&"*",$B$3:$C$6,2,0)

BUT its not going to select 380 - not sure why ????
index/match not working
need to look into futher
bosco_yip may know

Hi Bosco_yip,

Thank you for kind response.

in this formula if i put single value i.e., (before and after no value) means it cannot pickup the return value.
And also i have given that range between numbers i.e., (38096-38098) i want lookup value for 38097 also.
Kindly help to resolve.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone will struggle to get the result you need with a plain formula, especially when you have ranges of numbers like 38096-38098 where I presume you're going to want 38097 to be 'found', even more complex when you have multiuple such range representations in one cell.

In the attached, is a Power Query table which tries to expand your table into single number/Order pairs against which you can do a plain VLOOKUP.
That table is at cell L2; should you change the contents of your table at cell B2, you will need to right-click the L2 table and choose Refresh to update the results. Formula at cell I3 now refers to that table.

Requirents:
Numbers in the Numbers columns have to be whole numbers
When there is a range denoted by the hyphen, the smaller number should be first.

Attachments

• Chandoo50070Book2.xlsx
    18.6 KB · Views: 7
Hi p45cal,

Thank you for your immediate response and it is very useful for me.

Is that any way to formulate without creating any table.
Thanks in advance.

As I said:
Anyone will struggle to get the result you need with a plain formula
Merely making this statement might encourage someone to produce one...
I'm not going to try any time soon.
It would improve your chances a lot if you can tell us that your version of Excel is Office 365. Can you?

should sort that, but that's only by luck; had there been say 380033 above the 380 you'd get the wrong result.
i could not get the formula to select the 1st entry which is 380 on its own , it choses the first "text" i did play with various options.

Anyway - if works on the OP version , i guess thats fine - i just could not get it to to choose the 1st entry of 380 on its own - even if formatted as text or number

As I said:
Merely making this statement might encourage someone to produce one...
I'm not going to try any time soon.
It would improve your chances a lot if you can tell us that your version of Excel is Office 365. Can you?

Yes I am using Office 365.

try
=VLOOKUP("*"&$H$3&"*",$B$3:$C$6,2,0)

BUT its not going to select 380 - not sure why ????
index/match not working
need to look into futher
bosco_yip may know

To select & test for 380, you need this:

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP($H$3,$B$3:$C$6,2,0),VLOOKUP("*"&$H$3&"*",$B$3:$C$6,2,0))

Regards

To select & test for 380, you need this: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP($H$3,$B$3:$C$6,2,0),VLOOKUP("*"&$H$3&"*",$B$3:$C$6,2,0))
I must just have been lucky in the past that the string on its own never existing in my data - Or i just did not notice ...... interesting
Thanks for that

Back