• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Vlookup Preserve formatting i.e. font colour for free text

Good Morning, I am hoping someone can assist with a vlookup formula that preserves the formatting of the font, as per the second tab in the easiest most effective way.

Thanking you in advance, Kelli

Attachments

• Chandoo Preserve Formatting eg Font colour.xlsx
    20.6 KB · Views: 4
Hi Hany, Sorry but I can't see what you've done to preserve the formatting.

Can you please elaborate so I can replicate?

thanks,

Hi ,

What is your real requirement ?

When you have 3 columns of data in one worksheet , why do you want the same information duplicated on another worksheet ?

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

This is an ongoing weekly productivity report that has comments provided each week.

I then vlookup the prior comments to go into the new week.

The ability to maintain the coloured font is to identify the additional information that has been provided.

I know this looks very simplistic using a small sample, but the real file has over 1,500 records.

I hope that makes sense.

kind regards, Kelli

Hi ,

But another way of identifying the additional information is to just add a flag column which will contain either O for old or N for new.

Based on this data , we can conditionally format the data which has N in the flag column.

Every week , you change the previous week's N to O. That is all that is required.

Narayan

Sorry Narayan, I thought about the exact same thing when I went to lunch.

The reason why I want to retain the coloured font is to highlight what they identified in the prior week eg. The Manager has used a different colour font for a reason that I'm not privy, so I would like to keep the formatting. I hope that makes sense.

thanks

Hi ,

What I meant was , why have two worksheets ?

In the same worksheet where you bring in the new comments , identify them with the N flag , and the corresponding cells in columns A and B , which do not have any formatting , will be conditionally formatted ; this will help you identify the new comments.

If you do not want the conditional formatting , once the flag column is added and the N values entered , you can always filter your data on that column to identify the new comments till another new set of data is brought in.

In fact with a little VBA , each time you enter an N in the flag column , today's date can be entered in another column , so that every entry is date stamped , so that you do not need to change previous N values to O. They can remain as they are , and the date stamp will tell you that they are old values.

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

The majority of comments, only part of the text is highlighted red for example but not the whole comment.

If there is a way of preserving the formatting along with Vlookup or Lookup, I wouldn't need to review the old vs the new.

thank you, Kelli

Back