• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Userform occasionally crashes Excel upon calling

smallxyz

My "Personal.xlsb" contains a Userform, which comprises lots of command buttons to handle different daily tasks. Long time ago I have created a quick-access icon on top-left corner of Excel toolbar, in order to invoke it more quickly via shortcut "Alt + 1". Such way of calling this Userform has been perfectly well for me for over 2+ years.

But recently, when using "Alt + 1" to show up the Userform, the whole Excel freezes itself and seems to hang and malfunction(See attached image 1). Upon pressing "Ctrl + Break" to terminate the VBA code, Excel does respond but only to show up a freezing VBE screen (See attached image 2). Any clicking to close, maximize, minimize the Excel windows is in vain. What I could do is to "Ctrl + Alt +Delete" to kill the "Excel.exe" to restart. The weirdest part is that, sometimes the Userform can successfully be invoked to show up, and those command buttons can still function properly. But sometimes it just screws up and hangs the whole Excel.

I note that this problem always arises when my PC has been running for a long time. Already tried re-install Office Excel. Not working. Extremely clueless.

Help.

* PC︰Windows 10 Home Edition, 64-bit
* Excel︰Microsoft Office LTSC 2021 Professional Plus

image 1

image 2

As big userforms usually crash, as Excel is the worst application I know in term of memory management​
the better is to close other applications before to open Excel.​
Or maybe your workbook is somewhat damaged, try from a backup …​

As big userforms usually crash, as Excel is the worst application I know in term of memory management​
the better is to close other applications before to open Excel.​
Or maybe your workbook is somewhat damaged, try from a backup …​
Hi Marc L,
Thanks for your insight.

After reviewing the VBA code within the Userform, I have turned "Application.ScreenUpdating = True" into "False". Everything seems to return to normal. I will keep monitoring the situation for a week and update you whether this works.

* No new add-in installed recently.

Thanks again.

Hi Marc L,

Been tested for a whole day. Should be the problem of memory management.
After using " ScreenUpdating = False ", problem gone.

Thanks again for your GREAT help.

Back