• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Use Structured Reference to locate value in cell in previous row of table

cmissal

I know how to get the value of an cell in a table if the cell is in the same row using the structure Reference "special item specifier" [#This Row], but I was wondering if anyone had a quick/efficient way of locating a value 1 (or more) rows above (or below) the current row.

I figure I will have to write a function that identifies the address of the current row and then subtracts (or adds) 1 (or more) to locate the cell address desired, then pull the value from that addressed cell.

My Psudocode is

IF(TestColumnPreviousRowValue=MyTable[[#Headers],[TestColumn]],"First Row in Table","Not First Row in Table")

I need the code for "TestColumnPreviousRowValue" in the above.

I will work on it now, but if you have this readily available, Please post! I will monitor this topic as I work!

Thanks,

Casey

This is what I came up with. Please let me know if you have a more efficient method.

The formula for the "TestColumnPreviousRowValue" in the original psudocode is:

INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(MyTable[AnotherTestColumn])+MATCH(MyTable[[#This Row],[AnotherTestColumn]],MyTable[AnotherTestColumn],FALSE)-2,COLUMN(MyTable[TestColumn])))

THanks.

Casey

Hi, cmissal!

Tried using ROW and ROWS Excel functions?

To perform the action described in your first post pseudocode, you can to this:

=IF(ROW()=ROW(MyTable),"First Row in Table","Not First Row in Table")

Add a "+1" unquoted before the first comma if MyTable has a header row and you want to exclude it as first row.

To check if a row is within a table range, you can do this:

=IF(AND(ROW()>=ROW(MyTable),ROW()<=ROW(MyTable)+ROWS(MyTable)-1),"Yes","No")

Regards!

Hi cmissal,

Copy this into A1:A9 and convert to a table

[pre]
Code:
A
Copy this into B2, it should enter all the way to B9

=INDEX(Table1[#All],ROW(Table1[@])-1,1)

A	PriorRowA
1	A
50	1
49	50