• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Triple Donuts

chirayu

Hi All,

Last week I had a crazy idea - What if I could make a Donut chart that could show the values of 3 Site locations that all can total to 100% - So that would mean 300% in one Donut - And make it look like an Infograph (sort of hopefully :S).

Logically Impossible but Illogically Possible (I hear u thinking - he's gone crazy!!)

I spent some time and came up with the attached - hope you like it. The file explains how it was made.

Note - I have used RAND() formula to generate random values on sheet refresh & colour scheme used is from the company I work in.

Attachments

• LOCATION DONUTS.xlsx
    16.4 KB · Views: 21
While I'll give some props for the colorful design, I don't see any way the chart is useful. Without the labels in the middle telling me numbers, I wouldn't be able to do any good data reading from the chart.
Example question, which slice is bigger? Note that I also need a legend/key to tell me what color goes to what slice.
upload_2014-2-24_10-40-48.png
Versus a simple bar chart:
upload_2014-2-24_10-46-5.png
which lets me quickly see (and w/o a problem for the color blind) that C is bigger.

I realize this example may have been more on the lines of "looks what Excel is able to do if you stretch it", and for that again, I'm impressed. I just don't see why you'd want to. :(

@Luke M

Yup in the end its just for data visualization. Ideally for analysis you would not use this chart. A Column/Bar chart or a Pie/Gauge/Donut with a Combobox should do the trick equally well.
P.S. My boss likes jazzy stuff haha

@NARAYANK991

Yup originally I had added the Data labels in the center of the series as indicated but then I would not be able to show location i.e. what is GGN/MUM/PHP.
Also when the %age value is low the data label would use more space than the actual value so it wouldn't look clean.
Furthermore I just wanted it to look like a good visualization - I wanted all the data points to be seen in one chart view and not show my table - so ideally the table would be in a hidden sheet.

Back