• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Trimmean with two conditions

I want to calculate the average value for sector and quarter whrein it should exclude top5 and bottom 5 value from the respective data set.

For e.g, if we have to calculate the value in Cell I3(Avg for commodity chemicals in Q1 14), it should only calculate the average wherever quarter is Q1 14, and sub-sector is Commodity Chemicals, and it should also exclude top 5 and bottom 5 values from the respective data set while calculating average in any cell.

Attachments

• Trimmean with two conditions.xlsx
    85.9 KB · Views: 5
Here is a Table of the No of entries in each catgeory
upload_2018-2-7_18-16-38.png

What do you want to happen when there is less than 10 ?

Hi ,

See if this is OK.

I have not implemented the condition that if the number of entries is less than 2 , then the actual average should be taken.

I have excluded all the non-zero entries from the calculation.

Narayan

Attachments

• Example 1.xlsx
    93.9 KB · Views: 14
Try the formula with excluding top 2 and bottom 2 values instead of 10, and wherever value is less than 2, it should just calculate the actual avg
This is silly because less than 2 can only be 1!
The smallest number of records where 2 can be taken off the top and two off the bottom leaving something to work with is 5.
The attached has this fun formula, array-entered into cell F3, then copied down and across:
Code:
=IFERROR(IF(SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$5256=$E3)*($B$2:$B$5256=F$2)*ISNUMBER($C$2:$C$5256))>4,TRIMMEAN(IF(($A$2:$A$5256=$E3)*($B$2:$B$5256=F$2)*ISNUMBER($C$2:$C$5256)=1,$C$2:$C$5256),4/SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$5256=$E3)*($B$2:$B$5256=F$2)*ISNUMBER($C$2:$C$5256))),AVERAGE(IF(($A$2:$A$5256=$E3)*($B$2:$B$5256=F$2)*ISNUMBER($C$2:$C$5256)=1,$C$2:$C$5256))),"-")
Array-entering means using Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter, to commit the formula to the sheet.
It will take two off the top and two off the bottom before averaging only if there are 5 or more records with numbers, otherwise it does a plain average.

Attachments

• Chandoo37282Trimmean with two conditions2.xlsx
    87.5 KB · Views: 7
Hi ,

See if this is OK.

I have not implemented the condition that if the number of entries is less than 2 , then the actual average should be taken.

I have excluded all the non-zero entries from the calculation.

Narayan
Thank You very much Narayan,

the formula was very helpful.

Back