• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Topics to start learning for a Excel beginner

Dash___

Hi, I'm very new to excel and the only experience I have with it is from the video series by Chandoo titled "excel baby steps". I have been offered a temp admin job which is starting in two weeks time and requires knowledge of excel. My employer knows that I am new to this but I've promised to learn it well before my job starts. There are so many topics out there, so which should I start on first, in order of difficulty? If anyone is kind enough to type out a simple lesson plan for me to get to a intermediate level in two weeks, I will be most grateful!

Whenever somebody with little experience wants to start learning excel, I start them off by teaching them the very basics of formulas. I've got a simple example sheet which basically just shows you a couple of different implementations of the same formula where you're imputing the arguments differently. If you want, I'll put it up on dropbox or something. All it really does is show you:

=rept("|",10)

can also be =rept(a2,b2), if the pipe | is in a2, and the 10 is b2

Or, if 10 is actually the sum of 2 components you could do =rept(a2,sum(b2:c2))

Understanding references is probably the very first barrier to excelbadassedness. After that, it's all about increasing your formula vocabulary (way easier than you think), and then picking up some additional technique to make use of them.

Dash_____

have a read of http://chandoo.org/wp/2010/05/10/becoming-excel-expert/

Including the comments at the bottom

Back