• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Timeline (Progressive) Heatmap in Excel 2010

ChasD

I do value analysis for a living and our methodology is to interview stakeholders across an organization to understand their challenges related to a given topic. So, for example, I recently conducted 20 interviews. The findings from those interviews produced 21 unique challenges which are divide across 4 categories (efficiency, effectiveness, productivity, readiness). A part of my analysis is to tally challenges identified by each stakeholder. In the end, I have a list of challenges with a total count and then sort them by category and in descending order. Traditionally, for each category I product a pie-chart that shows the proportion of each challenges within a category. As you can imagine, this is good detail for the wonks in the audience, but overwhelming when presenting to executives in a short time frame. This leads me to my question: I would like to create a heatmap in excel that builds on a timeline. In my example, I would like to animate the heatmap build starting with interview #1 and on until interview #20 - so "interview #" would be the x-axis (scale: 1-20), and I envision a 4 quadrant map above that x-axis (one for each category) and then Y and Z axis' that would list each of the challenges in that quadrant. Within the quadrant I would envision a bubble that appears (for a new challenge) and/or grows & intensifies as subsequent interviews identify the same challenge (i.e. the tally count for that challenge goes up). It would be ideal to have a slider below the interview number that can be dragged or played and then watch the heatmap grow over time/number of interviews.

I'm open to ideas of formatting this - this is just my initial idea on format, but the effect I am trying to build - a heatmap that builds on a timeline - is what I'm going for. Any help/suggestions appreciated.

it's hard for me to vision/understand what you want without visioning the data side. I suppose column A is interviews #1 to #20. but you lost me on how data are displayed on column(s) B, C, D, ... , etc.

- what do you mean by 20 interviews and 21 challenges? do you mean 21 challenges for the 20 interviews, or 21 challenges for each of the 20 interviews?

- my experience with pies is that they don't necessarily change size as the count change, the scale may rescale to fit the pie in the chart

- i suppose you mean you are going to create 4 pies charts representing each of the challenges category? Because I don't think you can use one chart to create 4 pies representng the category.

- you lost me at "Y and Z axis' that would list each of the challenges in that quadrant." List? you want to show the text? or are you refering to the number of challenges? Once again, without seeing the data column it's difficult to understand your vision.

Back