• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Timeline - Extraction of Selection Label in a cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahid

Hi Chandoo:

I am trying to apply timeline in Excel 2013 using the Pivot table as source for dates. Could you please assist me, if there is any way to pull the Selection Label in an Excel Cell.

Example: If I select the month from Jan'15 to Apr 15 the timeline Selection label would be "Jan - Apr 2015".

Regards
Shahid

Attachments

• Book1.xlsx
    17.4 KB · Views: 44
Shahid

Firstly, Welcome to the Chandoo.org Forums

=TEXT(MIN(Sheet2!A4:A100),"mmm") & " - " & TEXT(MAX(Sheet2!A4:A100),"mmm yyy")

Thanks Hui - Amazing

I never thought of applying such a simpler one and was unnecessarily wondering to see if there is any cube formula under the Powerpivot Data model to extract the Selection label.

Thanks once again for the quick response, this serves my purpose :)

@Hui, I'm wondering whether this solution would pick up the minimum date if that date was greater than the selected date? In that case, the pivot report would not seem to be reporting that there were no records between the earliest date selected and the actual earliest date. Further, if the dates selected did not end on the first and last months, then the selection label would not have any particular date format, no? One could write a function to do all that formatting; It would be much better if one could access the "selection label." I think there may be a way to enumerate the components of the timeline that isn't directly documented. Thanks for your help!

@Hui, I'm wondering whether this solution would pick up the minimum date if that date was greater than the selected date? In that case, the pivot report would not seem to be reporting that there were no records between the earliest date selected and the actual earliest date. Further, if the dates selected did not end on the first and last months, then the selection label would not have any particular date format, no? One could write a function to do all that formatting; It would be much better if one could access the "selection label." I think there may be a way to enumerate the components of the timeline that isn't directly documented. Thanks for your help!
Rather than tacking on to an old thread, you'll get better luck by posting a new thread. As this is an old thread, I am closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back