• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

The Vault turning into second forum!!

bobhc

Excel Ninja
Good day all

The idea of the Vault where we can find tips, VBA snippets and other bits and pieces is a good idea but I think that if users where to post unfinished code or other things they where not sure about in the general forum and then see how there question is answered and faults pointed out their tip/code could be refined and then moved to the vault, other wise the Vault is just going to turn into another question and answer forum and those viewing are going to get confused with so many posts/reply's on one posting. As an example and no disrespect to the author and responders I think this post..http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/navigate-through-all-the-worksheet-and-press-ctrl-home-using-vba...would have ended up better if it had started life in the general topics forum and the right code piece moved to the vault.

Hi Bob ,

I agree with you ; of course , it is up to people who access the vault to take what they want. In the case of a forum like vbaexpress , and expertsexchange , submissions are scrutinised by the proper authority before they are accepted ; probably some such process can be adopted here.

I would like to add that the important point about the vault should be that it should appear in any search of the Chandoo forum , preferably at the top. One of the ways to achieve this might be if all the entries in the Vault are correctly tagged.

Narayan

Good discussion... I agree that vault should be treated separately from rest of the forums. Here is what I am thinking:

• Each submission to the vault to be reviewed by a ninja. Although the posts appear immediately, ninjas can review them and move them to another forum if needed. Also, ninjas may add tags, modify the title of the article if needed.
  • Once reviewed, the threads will be locked (closed) so no further comments or questions can be posted. Any further discussion in vault has to happen outside in question forums.
  • Every 2 weeks, we will take all new articles in the vault and post them to a separate url (something like http://chandoo.org/vault/code-example.html )
    We will give this new page higher priority in searches and also publicize it.
    Frequently asked questions & their solutions can also be mirrored in this vault (as new threads).

Any more suggestions and ideas?

Hi Bob ,

My apologies for continuing to stretch this topic !

It all started off with a very straightforward VBA procedure to replace the familiar CTRL HOME combo , which takes the cursor to the first available cell in a worksheet.

It has expanded to include hidden and veryhidden worksheets ( thanks to Shrivallabha ) ; in the process , I think we need to make it more comprehensive , so that it becomes a real VBA replacement for the keyboard shortcut.

I tried having some rows and columns hidden , and the current procedure does not take this into account ; hence this latest update.

[pre]
Code:
Sub goto_first_cell_in_each_worksheet()
Dim wk As Variant
For Each wk In ThisWorkbook.Sheets
If wk.Type = xlWorksheet And wk.Visible = xlSheetVisible Then
wk.Select
Cells(ActiveWindow.SplitRow + 1, ActiveWindow.SplitColumn + 1).Select
i = 0
j = 0
Do
If ActiveCell.Offset(i, j).EntireRow.Hidden Then i = i + 1
If ActiveCell.Offset(i, j).EntireColumn.Hidden Then j = j + 1
Loop Until Not (ActiveCell.Offset(i, j).EntireRow.Hidden) And Not (ActiveCell.Offset(i, j).EntireColumn.Hidden)
ActiveCell.Offset(i, j).Select
End If
Next
ActiveWorkbook.Save
End Sub
[/pre]
I had earlier posted that VisibleRange does not work ; I had not explained in more detail. Consider when the home cell is not on the visible screen e.g. suppose the cursor is on AE390 ; if you now use VisibleRange , it will take you to L366 , since that is the first available cell in the visible range. Again , this will depend on the row heights and column widths ; the cursor can end up anywhere that is the top left corner of the displayed screen. However , I find that one user has accepted VisibleRange as an acceptable piece of code for his purpose. So , eventually , it's up to the person who accesses the Vault to take whatever he / she wants.

Our endeavour should be to have material that is as accurate and as clearly documented as possible.

I think the discussion serves its own purpose , since if at a later date , someone comes across a piece of code which he / she would like to make use of in their application , they will be well aware of the various pitfalls that were considered before the code came to its final version ; probably , it will also make them aware of the restrictions / constraints that may be applicable , so that they know exactly what the code can and cannot do.

Narayan

Good day Chandoo and NARAYANK991

I think to points raised are very good ones, NARAYANK991 suggests that post are scrutinised before going into the vault this is a good point as it would keep the Vault snippets true and to the point, Chandoo,s point of locking the Vault posts would stop the Vault from becoming another forum of general posts.

Hi Bob and Friends.

The other idea I have would be that the vault is for programs only with only 1 post per vault item also with the facility to remove by the person who place the item in the vault or an admin aka Chandoo.

In additon you many query the vault item which would lead to a person removing / updating and placing the new item over the previous version. hence you will gain a vault of programs only.....

Now thats magic !!!!

Good day NARAYANK991

I whole heatedly agree with your thoughts on how a post can expand with board input, but my view is that if it starts of in the general forum and then users add their thoughts and comments and as such the formula/function/vba code changes then you end up with an answer that is correct and works.

User can use it knowing that Ninjas and forum members have corrected any faults or anomalies. Bearing in mind the old maxim “there is more than one way to skin a cat “a post could end up with more than one correct answer to a question.

If then the correct posts where copied to the Vault by the Ninjas with a link to the original forum post then anyone could download from the vault the article they want and also quickly go to the correct forum location to see how the formula/function/vba changed and grew into its finished state.

This would leave the Vault clear of half-finished/not workable snippets and give the overall impression of solid and sound work.

Quoted from NARAYANK991

“Our endeavour should be to have material that is as accurate and as clearly documented as possible.

I think the discussion serves its own purpose , since if at a later date , someone comes across a piece of code which he / she would like to make use of in their application , they will be well aware of the various pitfalls that were considered before the code came to its final version ; probably , it will also make them aware of the restrictions / constraints that may be applicable , so that they know exactly what the code can and cannot do.”

Back