1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

The right amount and type of Excel skills for management position?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Luwak, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Luwak

Luwak New Member

Hi all,

I am in a management position and have been working with Excel for many years. Recently I realized that my skills and knowledge are quite pathetic so I started doing an online course to refresh and expand my Excel skills. I strongly believe that becoming more Excel literate will help my in my career. Seeing again what is possible in terms of data visualization makes me quite excited, but I am wondering how deep I should let myself get into this rabbit hole of Excel awesomeness. I surely have some catching up to do on the basics, but after that what should I focus on to spend my limited time most effectively on specific skills that will help me in my career (instead of turning me into a data analyst)?
    ThrottleWorks likes this.
  2. AliGW

AliGW Active Member

With respect, without knowing anything at all about the nature of your job and intended career aspirations, it's practically impossible to answer. Having said this, as a pupil data analyst myself (alongside my teaching duties), I am creating a data visualisation system for our school using Power BI, so getting down that rabbit hole and continuing to do so has been beneficial to me.
    ThrottleWorks and Luwak like this.
  3. Luwak

Luwak New Member

Thanks, I realize that my description was a bit minimalist. I am currently director of an SME production company where we do production outsourcing. I would like to use Excel to get a better grip on the business. At the moment I am enjoying the learning experience, but rationally speaking it would probably make more sense to hire a consultant as opposed to trying to do things myself. Anyway, after the basics I would like to focus on tracking business performance (KPI's, financial reports etc.)
  4. AliGW

AliGW Active Member

So assuming you have Office for business, your company should have access to Power BI - just Google it and check it out. There is a free trial you can get.
  5. Luwak

Luwak New Member

Yes Power BI looks impressive and as I understand can also handle data from other sources than Excel.