• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Text functions and formulas

Hi Chandoo People,

I am just figuring out text functions. Just as an experiment, I am wondering how to use the replacement function and where to place it within a formula. In column "i" I would like to replace Rosalie with Rosalinda. I think when using replacement if I understand it correctly it old text would be in column b, start number is 6, number of character would be 3, and new text would be "nda". I keep on getting too many arguments error message. So if this is possible where do I place the formula? Do I place it at the beginning of the existing formula? Is there a universal rule on placing formulas? Hope this makes sense. Thanks for helping. Joe, Michigan

Attachments

• Busn218-Video08.xlsx
    43.2 KB · Views: 6
Thanks to all who responded. Hui has helped me out before. One question though to bosco: I have left and search in the formula also. Where do i put the "replace" formula within this formula =(LEFT(B23,SEARCH(" ",B23)-1))? Thanks.

Thanks to all who responded. Hui has helped me out before. One question though to bosco: I have left and search in the formula also. Where do i put the "replace" formula within this formula =(LEFT(B23,SEARCH(" ",B23)-1))? Thanks.

In "Text(1) Sheet" I22, enter formula and copied down :

=IF(LEFT(B22,7)="Rosalie",REPLACE(B22,7,99,"nda"),LEFT(B22,SEARCH(" ",B22)-1))

Regards
Bosco

Back