• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Text box linked to cell displays cropped text

Sita SB

My dashboard Text are linked to a merged cell, where some comments are collected. They are generally multiple lines, but the text box displays only 256 chars and cuts off the remaining. A few boxes , Alt + enter worked, but not in all. Any other way to get the complete text displayed in the boxes ?

Hi ,

Can you upload your workbook , or explain how exactly you are transferring text to the textbox ? Is your textbox a shape or an ActiveX object ?

I inserted an ActiveX textbox in the worksheet , set its Multiline property to True , and linked it to a cell in the worksheet ; when I put in text in the linked cell , the textbox displayed even beyond 3000 characters.

Narayan

I have merged Cells A3 to H15 in sheet1. In sheet 2, I have placed a textbox and in the formula bar, I have typed "=Sheet1!A3". It displays only 3 lines of the comments and crops the rest.
I haven't used an activex textbox, tried it now, doesn't have option for formatting ?

Any other way to get the complete text displayed in the boxes ?

Not when formula is used to bring in text. TextBox limits # of char to 255 when cell reference is used.

You can use copy and paste to circumvent this limitation. Or use vba.

Uploaded sample sheet. If this has to be done only by VBa,then I need help in code.

Attachments

• sample text.xlsx
    10.4 KB · Views: 16
Start off by manually copying and pasting data from cell into textbox and use macro recorder to record your action.

If not comfortable with VBA, as Narayank suggested use ActiveX TextBox instead of Insert->Text ribbon tool.

ActiveX Textbox can be found under Developer tab in the ribbon (ActiveX controls).

Back