• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

SWOT Analysis

Larph

Hi there

I've set myself the goal of creating an awesome chandoo-esque SWOT chart in excel (Strength, Weakness, Opportunities, Threats) - anybody had any experience with this or know of any decent resources out there?

Interesting topic... I used excel to keep track of test scores and performances back in 2003 when I was preparing for an MBA entrance exam. It was a crude sheet (I didnt know what excel is and what all it can do, I was just using it as a fancy notebook)

But essentially it was SWOT analysis. Here are some ideas for you based on my experience back then,

Lets say you are doing swot analysis of your on job performance.

> Create a simple table layout where you record your experiences. Include columns like date, what you did, what worked, what didnt, where you could have improved, what worried you etc.

> log your performance details every day.

> Once every few weeks spend an hour or two with the worksheet to see how well you have performed and where you can improve.

> Prepare SWOT based on all the inputs. You can easily find strengths by looking all the things you did well etc...

Based on my limited management experience, SWOT is more of a feel thing than process thing. So it involves a lot of introspection, ideas and qualitative judgment. Excel is probably not a good tool for these kinds of things..

just my ideas.. :)

Just thought I would post an update on the issue:

Essentially I am looking to use a tool (SWOT) to appraise the ongoing performances of several key suppliers I engage with through my job.

The point is to figure out what I am looking for and value most in any project and then appraise the suppliers through a series of qualitative and quantitative measurements, using a simple chart to show where their strengths and weaknesses lie.

Here's a quick screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/MfMAJ.png

My biggest issue at the moment is trying to figure out how to label the xy data points on the chart to show which factor is which... i gather this is not as simple as it should be! (Using 2007 for mac here).

Larph

I like your chart

I would try and keep both axis to a +/- 0 to 5 or 10 ie ranges from -5 to +5 or -10 to +10

Main reason is that people are familar with those numbers as measures

The use of size to show importance is also good.

Back