• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Sum Consecutive negative numbers upto 4 years

Hello Experts

Looking for your help!

Here is my problem:

-20-30-405060-70-80-90-20-50

I want to SUM consecutive negative numbers upto 4 consecutive cells in next row.
If positive comes then it should skip the sequence and checks for the next sequence like as below:

-20-50-905060-70-150-240-260-50

please help.

Waiting for your solution.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Assuming your values are in A1:J1:

=IF(A1<0,SUM(A1:INDEX($A1:$J1,COUNT($A1:A1)-IFERROR(1/(1/(MOD(COUNTIF(A1:INDEX($A1:$J1,IFERROR(MATCH(1,0/($A1:A1>=0)),1)),"<0")-1,4))),0))),A1)

and copied to the right.

Note that this formula may require committing with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, depending on your version of Excel.

Regards

Last edited:
I can get this:
In D3 the formula:
Code:
=CHOOSE(MAX(1,INDEX(FREQUENCY(IF(A2:D2<0,COLUMN(A2:D2)),IF(A2:D2>=0,COLUMN(A2:D2))),COUNTA(FREQUENCY(IF(A2:D2<0,COLUMN(A2:D2)),IF(A2:D2>=0,COLUMN(A2:D2)))))),D2,SUM(C2:D2),SUM(B2:D2),SUM(A2:D2))
which, depending on your version of Excel may need to be committed to the sheet with Ctrl+Shift+Enter rather than just Enter. Then copy to the right.
Cells B3 and C3 have variants of the same formula.
Cell A3 formula is ultra simple.
The last cell highlighted in yellow is my only concern; once you've found a sequence of 4 negatives you seem to start again - I gave up at that point!

Attachments

• Chandoo45072.xlsx
    10.1 KB · Views: 7
We could also employ OFFSET, which often gets a hard press for being volatile (perhaps justifiably), though is a very useful and flexible function:

=IF(A1<0,SUM(OFFSET(A1,,,,-TEXT(MOD(COUNT($A1:A1)-IFERROR(MATCH(1,0/($A1:A1>=0)),0),4),"[=0]\4;0"))),A1)

though here I am abusing the unintended use of a negative number for that function's width parameter.

Regards

Hi,

Assuming your values are in A1:J1:

=IF(A1<0,SUM(A1:INDEX($A1:$J1,COUNT($A1:A1)-IFERROR(1/(1/(MOD(COUNTIF(A1:INDEX($A1:$J1,IFERROR(MATCH(1,0/($A1:A1>=0)),1)),"<0")-1,4))),0))),A1)

and copied to the right.

Note that this formula may require committing with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, depending on your version of Excel.

Regards
Wow! That's works!

Thanks XOR LX!!

We could also employ OFFSET, which often gets a hard press for being volatile (perhaps justifiably), though is a very useful and flexible function:

=IF(A1<0,SUM(OFFSET(A1,,,,-TEXT(MOD(COUNT($A1:A1)-IFERROR(MATCH(1,0/($A1:A1>=0)),0),4),"[=0]\4;0"))),A1)

though here I am abusing the unintended use of a negative number for that function's width parameter.

Regards
Another great work :)

I can get this:
View attachment 71359
In D3 the formula:
Code:
=CHOOSE(MAX(1,INDEX(FREQUENCY(IF(A2:D2<0,COLUMN(A2:D2)),IF(A2:D2>=0,COLUMN(A2:D2))),COUNTA(FREQUENCY(IF(A2:D2<0,COLUMN(A2:D2)),IF(A2:D2>=0,COLUMN(A2:D2)))))),D2,SUM(C2:D2),SUM(B2:D2),SUM(A2:D2))
which, depending on your version of Excel may need to be committed to the sheet with Ctrl+Shift+Enter rather than just Enter. Then copy to the right.
Cells B3 and C3 have variants of the same formula.
Cell A3 formula is ultra simple.
The last cell highlighted in yellow is my only concern; once you've found a sequence of 4 negatives you seem to start again - I gave up at that point!
Indeed Nice Try!

Thanks for your help!

Back