• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Structured references acting as if turned off - why?

Peter Bartholomew

This is a problem I have encountered with spreadsheets downloaded from this forum.

If the workbook contains lists held as a column of ordinary cells, I often convert them to Tables to provide me with a reference notation I am comfortable with. What I have noticed is that clicking on a cell or field heading then gives me references in the A1 notation rather than the structured references I am expecting.

I have checked Options / Formulas and confirmed that the option box “Use table names in formulas” is checked. I can still type the structured reference but that is not much of a consolation. Has anyone else encountered this?

Do you know what causes it to happen?

@Chihiro

Thanks for your reply. You have already provided me with an answer :awesome:!

I took the Vehicle No. file and reproduced the problem. When I tried to save it prior to uploading, I noticed that it was an .xls format file. Once I move beyond 2003 things work once more :DD.

I wonder whether some of the questions are posed by people still using Office 1997-2003? References to Power Query in a reply might not cut it :oops:.

[Too many :DD:oops::rolleyes:, I know]

Surfing on several VBA forums,
yes there are people under 2003 or below versions … :cool:

+90% of my VBA demonstrations are written and tested under Excel 2003
even if the original poster has an upper version … :rolleyes:

Version used should be a mandatory information in a thread. Indeed lots of people are using (very) old versions, also to my surprise Peter. Office may not be that cheap for all I guess. And I could still do with version 97 at home. Hmm, not so true, I would miss slicers, sparklines, Power Query... :DD
Btw, I also learned here, thanks to Vletm, PQ is not for Mac users.
+90% of my VBA demonstrations are written and tested under Excel 2003 even if the original poster has an upper version … :rolleyes:
Marc L, that is impressive.

Back