1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Structured references acting as if turned off - why?

Discussion in 'Ask an Excel Question' started by Peter Bartholomew, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Peter Bartholomew

Peter Bartholomew Well-Known Member

This is a problem I have encountered with spreadsheets downloaded from this forum.

If the workbook contains lists held as a column of ordinary cells, I often convert them to Tables to provide me with a reference notation I am comfortable with. What I have noticed is that clicking on a cell or field heading then gives me references in the A1 notation rather than the structured references I am expecting.

I have checked Options / Formulas and confirmed that the option box “Use table names in formulas” is checked. I can still type the structured reference but that is not much of a consolation. Has anyone else encountered this?

Do you know what causes it to happen?
  2. Chihiro

Chihiro Excel Ninja

Do you have specific example?
  3. Peter Bartholomew

@Chihiro

Thanks for your reply. You have already provided me with an answer :awesome:!

I took the Vehicle No. file and reproduced the problem. When I tried to save it prior to uploading, I noticed that it was an .xls format file. Once I move beyond 2003 things work once more :DD.

I wonder whether some of the questions are posed by people still using Office 1997-2003? References to Power Query in a reply might not cut it :oops:.

[Too many :DD:oops::rolleyes:, I know]
    GraH - Guido and Marc L like this.
  4. Marc L

Marc L Excel Ninja

Surfing on several VBA forums,
    yes there are people under 2003 or below versions … :cool:

+90% of my VBA demonstrations are written and tested under Excel 2003
    even if the original poster has an upper version … :rolleyes:
  5. Peter Bartholomew

6. GraH - Guido

GraH - Guido Well-Known Member

Version used should be a mandatory information in a thread. Indeed lots of people are using (very) old versions, also to my surprise Peter. Office may not be that cheap for all I guess. And I could still do with version 97 at home. Hmm, not so true, I would miss slicers, sparklines, Power Query... :DD
    Btw, I also learned here, thanks to Vletm, PQ is not for Mac users.
    Marc L, that is impressive.