1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Stacked column chart

Discussion in 'Discuss Data Visualizations and Charting' started by Pete Mccann, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Pete Mccann

Pete Mccann Member

Dear all,
    One of the Tasks that we have to monitor (and report on) contains some sub-tasks (there may be anything from 2 to 20 sub-tasks in a single Task). Some of these sub-tasks are connected (i.e. sub-task 2 cannot start before sub-task 1 completes) or the sub-tasks may be independent of each other. But all the sub-tasks must be completed before we can say that the Task is completed.
    We create a baseline (Plan) set of information and then as the project progresses, we update the Plan dates with new Forecast dates for the sub-tasks.
    Essentially for each task (and its associated sub-tasks) I would like to create a column chart like the "example chart" using the information in the "example data" file.

I would also like to be able to automatically color any completed sub-tasks green in the chart when the individual sub-task is completed; when all subtasks are completed, I would like all sub-task columns and the Task column itself to be automatically colored green.

In the attached spreadsheet, the information in J3:AB15 is for illustrative purposes only.

Many thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. p45cal

p45cal Well-Known Member

Attached is a straightforward way to achieve something like what you want. Currently manually tweaked with colours and manual y-axis minimum.
    upload_2018-1-14_13-29-43.png

Attached Files:

Thomas Kuriakose likes this.
  3. Pete Mccann

Pete Mccann Member

Thanks p45cal. Ah yes - a stacked bar chart but the first series is grey and the second series is the Start date + duration. Nice. Is there a way to overlap the elements of the series (i.e. sub-task 1b overlapping sub-task 1a)?
  4. p45cal

p45cal Well-Known Member

Not that I can find in Excel 2010 but ther may be a way in later versions.
  5. Pete Mccann

Pete Mccann Member

I couldn't find anything in 2016 either. Thanks for your help - it is a very tidy solution.