• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Sharing Files

I have a large, very wide, multiple tab Excel workbook. I want to send it to others for comments and viewing. I don't want to send it as an Excel file because I don't know what version they're using. Ideally, I'd send it in PDF format but PDF doesn't allow scrolling across, only down, and it creates page breaks. I want the file to scroll just like in Excel.

What are my options?

You could try... saving it as *.mht/*.mhtml

However, from your comment "...large, very wide..." I doubt that it would be suitable.
File size can quickly get out of hand and create performance issues (due to how Excel converts worksheet into html).

Another approach is to upload/convert to Google Sheet or upload to OneDrive and use Excel Online for viewing.

You could try... saving it as *.mht/*.mhtml

However, from your comment "...large, very wide..." I doubt that it would be suitable.
File size can quickly get out of hand and create performance issues (due to how Excel converts worksheet into html).

Another approach is to upload/convert to Google Sheet or upload to OneDrive and use Excel Online for viewing.
I have tried saving as a web page but it doesn't display correctly. The file is 25MB in binary format (xlxb) and Excel Online has a limit of 10MB. I could copy and paste values and that would make it smaller, possibly below 10MB. Still, Excel Online doesn't render objects, and I have lots of those. I can experiment, though.

PDF seems to be trying to put it into a page format. Would be better to have the page giant, but I don't see how to set it that way. It does zoom, though.
And when you have a lot of rows, column titles don't stay frozen like in Excel. Maybe defining a print range with frozen titles would change this.

I think the best thing to do is copy-paste over the formulas with values and put it on Excel for the Web, which now allows file sizes of 50MB. By the way, if you know of a good, comprehensive guide to Excel for the Web, I'd appreciate it.

Back