• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Sharing a workbook

Hi all,

I have a workbook that's taken months to almost finalize, work now want it shareable so multiple people can edit at the same time but I have a lot of tables and pivot tables and the need for formulas to copy into new rows.

What options do I have ?

Excel is notorious for 'screwing up data' when you attempt to share the workbook so more than one person at a time can use it.

#1:
So long as you keep only one person accessing the workbook at a time, you'll be ok. Otherwise, at some point Excel WILL corrupt the data.

#2:
A work around would be to have the Master file stored at a set location. Then let everyone maintain a copy on their machine locally. The MASTER will periodically query each of those copies on each machine and update the changes in the MASTER.

#3:
Another option is to place the MASTER in the CLOUD. You could use Microsoft One Drive which is designed to allow more than one person at a time to access a file. This is a download link to an instructional docuement from MS about One Drive : https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/ZjvAiWrKMgJJSnlTJcVqdFNT7JXNx7gvlddCfUhvYmK

#4:
If you prefer to keep the file local, there are macros that can check if the MASTER is being accessed and notify the person who is "asking". That will prevent them from simultaneously accessing the MASTER and tempt corruption. I have some code for this if interested.

....What options do I have ?....Very few. Excel was never designed to do what you want, users editing at the same time!! heart ache will ensue.
Why do you need others to mess around with the pivot tables? For them to be able to enter data in to the raw data table should be enough and only by an Excel form so that the data in input into the correct fields.
If you still insist on going down the multi user/scew-up/heart-ace route put the file on to share point, issue passwords and restrict, via share point, what the nupptiys who think they know better can do, you will be amazed at the number of users who think they know better and will go out of there way to alter the file.

....I have a workbook that's taken months to almost finalize....BACKUP KNOW and not just to your machine

Kurt Smart
Did You make that file that it is possible to share?
Means, there are that kind of functionalities, which will work as shared file.
If 100% yes, then 'share it' ... but if not, then that won't work!

Back