• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Rewrite Formula To Find Partial Matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKA1122

=MATCH(COUNTA(B1:H1),LEN(SUBSTITUTE(INT(MMULT(IFERROR(10^MATCH($M$1:$AC$120000,B1:H1,0),0),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN($M$1:$AC$120000)^0))/10),0,"")),0)

This formula is looking for matches but full exact matches from one table in another one as in attached file

i need it to be remade so it will be able to find partial matches of 6 or 5 or 4 or 3 or 2 or 1 with same logic as it is now
order of found matches in the row can be any order

thanks a lot

Attachments

• find MATCH7.xlsb
    286.1 KB · Views: 5
What constitutes a match? Partial? Full? Think you really need to explain your logic in simple English. Trying to understand your complex formula is not working for me. Let's do this like you don't have a formula and need an answer. Explain what you want to happen and be explicit.

Hi Alan
here is an exlanation
there are 2 tables
the formula finds a full exact match of the rows from table at the left in table in the right and returns the number of the first row where this match was found
i attached the working file and you can actually see this in action

right now i need this formula to be redone or may be a brand new one which will perform the same task but
will be looking not for exact full matches but partial matches

for example

if in row in left table there are 1 2 3 4 5 i need a formula which will find any 4 numbers from those for example 1 2 3 5

and returns me number of the first row where it was found

and this means i need ability to define each time prior the calculation how many matches i expect each time
in this case 4 matches

i hope this cleares the meaning of the formula

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back