• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Return which cell has a number

Busymanjohn

Hi guys, Poser for you, I have a range of data cells(BB5:BM5), so a total of 12 cells, only one of the cells in that range contains a number which is >=4, how do I return in another cell (BN5),which number from those cells contains a number >=4 ,,,, so e.g. in the range BB5:BM5, BK5 contains the number 4, in BN5 I want the result to say 10 as it's the 10th cell in that range .. make sense??

Hi ,

Try : =MATCH(TRUE,Data_Range>=4,0) entered as an array formula , using CTRL SHIFT ENTER ,

where Data_Range is BB5:BM5

Narayan

Hi,

Enter this formula in BN5:

SUMPRODUCT(((BB5:BM5)>=4)*COLUMN(BB5:BM5))-53

Hope it works,

@Narrayan: Nice formula man!

Regards,

Faseeh

Hi Narrayan, your formula returns the value 1 ,,,, needs to be 10, which shows me that the value within the range that contains the number 4 or greater is in the 10th column of the 12 columns in the range.

Faseeh, your formula returns a value of 661.

Any more ideas that I could try?

Hi ,

Anything that I post is tried by me , and only when I get the result that you are looking for , do I post.

Narayan

P.S. : This is not to say that I cannot make mistakes. In this case , I haven't. I copied the formula given : =MATCH(TRUE,BB5:BM5>=4,0) in an unused cell , and entered the value 7 in cell BK5 ; I got 10 as the result. Note that the formula has to be entered using CTRL SHIFT ENTER.

If this is not what you were looking for , then I have made a mistake. Please let me know.

Hi,

Have u entered my formula in BN5?? Bcz i first tried it on sheet and then posted. Even Narrayan's formula is giving correct result? In which cell do u have entered formula?

Thanks,

Faseeh

hey guys, I trued both your formulas in a blank sheet and yes they both work, the cells in my workbook that I am referencing ( BB5:BM5) contain formula, so I need to back and check that those are running correctly ,,,,, will keep you posted, and thanks for the solutions, much appreciated.

Back