• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Return Top X Items in Pivot Table Based on Alpha Order of Field

DME

Hello all,

Is it possible to return the Top X values in a Pivot Table based on a on the alphabetical order of one of the fields?

For example, if you have "Last Name" in one of the Rows. And there are 1,000+ Last Names but I ONLY want the top 10 or 100 or however many last names - based on alphabetical order - does Excel allow that? I understand how to show the Top X number of results based on a field in the Values section, but haven't figured out how to do the aforementioned.

Any thoughts?

NOTE: I'm on a computer that isn't allowing me to post a sample file. Given the question, I'm hoping one isn't required.

Chihiro

Excel Ninja
Depends on type of pivot table, how you'd go about doing it.

Assuming standard pivot table using range/table as data source.
You can do this by sorting source table based on the field. Then adding index column (auto incremented row#).
Then you can simply filter for less than or equal to some number.

Reactions: DME

DME

Hi @Chihiro I appreciate that - that's the direction I was moving in and I'll just plan to do that as there's no issue with me creating an index column in my file. Much appreciated!