• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Restric Access to few Sheets to Users in Excel 2010/2013

rumshar

Hi All,
I have a workbook with 3 sheets viz. Master,Report 1 & Report 2. Master sheet has all the data in database format and in other two sheets this data is analyzed. I need to share this file with many people in the company. Since master sheet and Report 1 contain some sensitive data, I don't want everyone to see them. So, is it possible to restrict user's access in these two sheets?
I tried with VBA's veryhidden code but it failed wherever macros were disabled. Please suggest.

With Regards
Rudra

Hi Rumshar

You could restrict the access lock the sheets down but that won't guarantee that people won't get in to see the two sheets. Best thing to do would be to copy the data on Report2 and paste the values and formats and send that sheet out by itself.

If this is something you do frequently, then hiving this process off with vba is pretty straight forward.

Take care

Smallman

Thanks mate, thanks for you quick response,,,still waiting for other excel magician's magic..:)

With Regards
Rudra

Hi Rudra,

Now a days market is full of software to crack passwords of excel sheets, I think you should go with @Smallman advise, if you don't want others to see the data, why send them :).

Edited Tagged Name.

Regards,

Last edited:
Dear rumshar

If you are familar with VBA, you can put VBA code at the event of file opening. My idea is, you should force all the users to enable macros before watching the report (not verbally or personally, just use the power of VBA). Your code should force them to enable the macros and you must protect the VBA project with Password. So that no one can easily access your code or view the code or change the code to read the hidden sheets.

Ofcourse as informed by other members that softwares or crackers are available in the market which can easily crack the password.

So, this decision is total depends on you. :)

Hi Vizzu,
You seem to be guiding me to correct direction. I had already tried VBA code at the event of file opening and it was successful also, but in someof the systems macros are disabled,hence it failed.. You said,"Your code should force them to enable the macros ", how to do this?
Usually I do protect my VBA project with password.
With Regards
Rudra

If you don't want the people to see the information and you are going to use vba to do it what you should do is use the vb to push the sheet in a new workbook call this sheet

IamCrazyifIuseVBforAnythingButThisPurpose

Then send out this sheet :)

Why use vb to lock it down when you can get into it anyways. Just send them the relevant data and forget the rest. Just so we are clear Post 3 - sgmpatnaik has not replied in this thread.

Take care

Smallman

@ All,
Thanks for your suggestions. Special thanks to Vijay.vizzu for the links..I will go through them whenever time permits(am in office now).
With Regards
Rudra

Hi,

remember, less than a minute is necessary to bypass workbook / VBA password protection !
Even for an Excel newbie, just by following one of the many tips (and free tools) from the net …

Back