• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

[REQ] calculate the word before and after a designed one found in a cell

Tetonne

Hi Chandoo
thank you very much for this very interesting site and for these brilliant tips!
I have an Excel file with 2 columns :

- a first column A which contains one or n words.
- a second one (column B) with a text that contains the content of column A (it doesn't matter where)
both cells a link cos cell B contait word in cell A
ex:

Column A l Column B l Column C
maria l Mme théresa maria DUPONT DURAND l théresa maria DUPONT
jean-pierre l monsieur jean-pierre paul DURANT l monsieur jean-pierre paul

I would like to retrieve in column C the content of column A preceded by the word before and followed by the word after in column B.

how to do it?
Thanking you in advance

Tetonne
Please, reread Forum Rules Especially How to get the Best Results at Chandoo.org

Another formula solution and without helper columns

In C2, formula copied down :

=TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(FILTERXML("<a><b>"&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(" "&B2," "&A2&" ","@"&A2&"@")," ","</b><b>")&"</b></a>","//b[contains(.,'"&A2&"')]"),"@"," "))

Regards
Bosco

Showing thanks to Anbuselvam K and bosco_yip
i have a question about bosco_yip formula cos i'm using french excel. Translation give my that :
=SUPPRESPACE(SUBSTITUE(FILTRE.XML("<a><b>"&SUBSTITUE(SUBSTITUE(" "&B2;" "&A2&" ";"@"&A2&"@");" ";"</b><b>")&"</b></a>";"//b[contains(.,'"&A2&"')]");"@";" "))
but it dosn't work
i'm using excel 2019 for mac

Last edited:
Showing thanks to Anbuselvam K and bosco_yip
i have a question about bosco_yip formula cos i'm using french excel. Translation give my that :
=SUPPRESPACE(SUBSTITUE(FILTRE.XML("<a><b>"&SUBSTITUE(SUBSTITUE(" "&B2;" "&A2&" ";"@"&A2&"@");" ";"</b><b>")&"</b></a>";"//b[contains(.,'"&A2&"')]");"@";" "))
but it dosn't work

There will be few reasons for English - French formula doesn't work.

1] The formula using a FILTERXML function of which available in Excel 2013 , Excel 2016 or Office 365 version.

2] "," convert to ";" problem
I noted that one (1) comma after ....[contains(.,'"&A2&"')].... haven't change to >> ...[contains(.;'"&A2&"')]....

3] Single quotes and double quotes

The screenshot maybe not show clear in the part of ....'"&A2&"'.....

it should read as >> Single quotes+Double quotes + "&" + "A2" + "&" +Double quotes +Single quotes

Regards
Bosco

=SUPPRESPACE(SUBSTITUE(FILTRE.XML("<a><b>"&SUBSTITUE(SUBSTITUE(" "&B2;" "&A2&" ";"@"&A2&"@");" ";"</b><b>")&"</b></a>";"//b[contains(.;'"&A2&"')]");"@";" ")) doesn't work on office 2013 PC :(

Salut !​
Thanks to post here only english formula as there are french Excel forums, you have the choice …​
French :​
comme en interne Excel est en anglais quelque soit sa version locale, côté VBA dans la fenêtre Exécution​
tu peux voir la version native de la formule de la cellule sélectionnée en validant cette commande : ?activecell.formula …​
Pour convertir une formule native (anglaise) dans la version locale il suffit de la valider​
dans cette fenêtre Exécution sans oublier de doubler chaque guillemet si elle en contient​
comme par exemple activecell.formula="=IF(A2=""OK"",SUM(B2:G2),0)" …​
English :​
as Excel is still in english whatever its local version, on VBA side in the Immediate window​
you can see the current cell original native formula just validating this command : ?activecell.formula …​
To convert a native formula (english) in your local version you just need to​
validate it in this Immediate window without forgetting to double each double quote if any​
like for example activecell.formula="=IF(A2=""OK"",SUM(B2:G2),0)" …​

I share with you 2 formulas :
A2= text
B2= text that must be found in A2

- the word before the one which is searched (C2) :
={IFERROR(RIGHT(LEFT(A2,IFERROR(SEARCH(B2,A2),0)-1),MATCH(" ",MID(LEFT(A2,IFERROR(SEARCH(B2,A2),0)-1),LEN(LEFT(A2,IFERROR(SEARCH(B2,A2),0)-1))-ROW($1:$34158),1),0)),LEFT(A2,IFERROR(SEARCH(B2,A2),0)-1))}

- the word after the one which is searched (D2)
=IFERROR(LEFT(MID(A2,IFERROR(SEARCH(B2,A2),0)+LEN(B2)+1,LEN(B2)+200),SEARCH(" ",MID(A2,IFERROR(SEARCH(B2,A2),0)+LEN(B2)+1,LEN(B2)+200),1)-1),"")

result = C2&" " &B2&" " &D2
it work on mac office 2019 and PC office 2013

May be a better user will be able to optimise those formulas (make them better)

I will have Office 2016 PC at the end of next week, i ll may be use :
=TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(FILTERXML("<a><b>"&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(" "&B2," "&A2&" ","@"&A2&"@")," ","</b><b>")&"</b></a>","//b[contains(.,'"&A2&"')]"),"@"," "))

Attachments

• word before and after.xlsx
    13.3 KB · Views: 4
Please try at F2
=TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(MID(SUBSTITUTE(" "&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(" "&TRIM(A2)&" ",B2,)," ","|")," ",REPT(" ",60)),FIND("|",SUBSTITUTE(" "&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(" "&TRIM(A2)&" ",B2,)," ","|")," ",REPT(" ",60)))-30,60),"|"," "&B2&" "))

Attachments

• word before and after.xlsx
    14.5 KB · Views: 10
Back