• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Reports suitable for different regional and language options

gjl

In another posting I mentioned that I'm preparing reports (Excel 2003) that are used by people with different regional and language settings in Windows (Because of their location or they global IT profile)

For instance on the first page of the report the reporting date is printed using TODAY and TEXT. My profile uses Dutch settings.

In this case jjjj is the same as yyyy in English (jaar is Dutch for year).

For the final report it is not relevant because everything is pasted as values to a new workbook and then saved, but if somebody with different regional options prepares the report the formula doesn't work. Colleagues can be from all over the world e.g. Central Europe, Asia or the US)

="Reporting Date: "&TEXT(TODAY();"[$-409]mmmm d, jjjj")

Same problem occurs if you use the text function to control the formatting (comma and point sometimes need to be switched).

I assume that there is some function in Excel that can tell you what the regional and language options for the active user are. If anybody knows please tell me. From that you can create a table and a vlookup. It's not a pretty solution, but it ought to work.

Any suggestions on a more elegant approach?

Hi,

I read your post a couple of days ago,but today came across this web site that may offer some help?

http://www.rondebruin.nl/international.htm

Hi Old Chippy,

Had a quick look at the web site and at first glance it's just what I need.

Currently we're having Quarter 1 close at the office, so I'll have to delay this a couple of weeks. Thanks for your suggestion.

GJ

For now i have solved it using a defined name for year In this formula it is the only thing that is different between Dutch and English. In Dutch jjjj, in English yyyy.

Back