• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Random Pairing with 2 variables

hrts4him

I am trying to create a random match/pair of a person on one team (Team Member) to a person on a different team (Doesn't have the same Team Lead). They cannot meet with themselves and they cannot repeat.

Team MemberTeam Lead
SamMary
MaryMark
JaneMark
JohnSam
SueJohn
DavidFran

In this example: Mary and Jane will never meet because they have the same Team Lead Mark. If they are on both list, team member and team lead they will never meet IE: Mary will never meet with herself. If they meet once they will not meet again in future interactions.

I can understand the =rand() would work if I didn’t have to worry about that second variable of a team lead.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Hi,
There are 33 possibilities.
=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A2:A7,"<>"&B2:B7))

David

Attachments

• Test.xlsx
    10.1 KB · Views: 5
Hi ,

{=(A2:A7<>TRANSPOSE(B2:B7))*1}

I uploaded the solution in the file, and also the solution through a matrix, copy it into the file. And you will see the pairs you are looking for, the formula of the matrix is in cse.

Attachments

• Test.xlsx
    10.4 KB · Views: 6
I need something like this but for it to autopopulate/generate the fields in month 1, month 2, etc. Caution is they can only meet once (no repeats) and if they have the same team lead they can not meet. So Mary and Jane can not meet. Mary can not meet with herself as well seeing that she is a team memeber and a Team Lead.

Month 1Month 2
Team MemberTeam LeadPerson 1Person 2Person 1Person 2
SamMarySueMarkSamDavid
MaryMarkSamFranMarySue
JaneMarkJohnJaneFranMark
JohnSamDavidMaryJaneJohn
SueJohn
DavidFran

Last edited:
Hi ,

{=(A2:A7<>TRANSPOSE(B2:B7))*1}

I uploaded the solution in the file, and also the solution through a matrix, copy it into the file. And you will see the pairs you are looking for, the formula of the matrix is in cse.
See my new reply sorry should have replied here but didn't

Hi,

Open a new thread, upload a file, and give two examples in the file, which solution you are looking for.

David

Back